[Project] Desktop Dungeons

Comments

• That's bloody fantastic! Well done! :D It's been a long long time coming!
  • That's great news!
    Well done :)
  • @FanieG: Yup, that's Grant. He's been super stoked for DD since before we got nominated for the IGF, he's been waiting a long time to see it finally come out. So when we had this idea for a cooking show spoof, he was a natural for it :)
  • LOOOOL! Excellent. Just a few observations. That kitchen is the bomb. I can only wish that if I was an indie developer that was 1 week away from launch, I would have a room bedekked in appliances like that. (OK the moo cow apron aside...). Imagine what his study looks like? Floor to ceiling big screens, a super computer, fibre optic backbone and at LEAST a couple Occulus rifts to keep the visitors entertained. BTW that recipe sounds really yummie. Gonna enjoy sinking my teeth into it. Cannot wait to check out DD on steam in a few days. Perma death? I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Also, anyone notice how the logo ended up turning out?
  • Logo looks cool :) I honestly don't know how many people will get the a reference (it looks more like a in a circle than @), but it DOES make a good story when people go "huh what is that?", which is another great point for marketing and talkability :) The goat is clear, so that's cool :)
  • I liked the logo's color - looked better in the red than in the grey previously shown
  • Congrats! The Logo is awesome, enough said.
  • Woke up this morning and checked out polygon and saw this http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/5043014/desktop-dungeons-coming-to-steam-nov-7.
    Well done guys, its looking epic
  • http://www.destructoid.com/desktop-dungeons-finally-sees-full-release-on-november-7-264497.phtml

This thread is going to be EXPLODED with these if that's what we're doing :P
  • maybe we should collect them anyway, here is as good a place as any.

This one is probably my favourite so far:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/29/the-deeper-dungeons-desktop-dungeons-out-next-week/
  • I wanted to show your trailer to a friend at work. Our Speaker was not working for some reason, so my colleague suggested we try it with the auto captions. This is your ad verbatim according to captions :

" Is so difficult to find time to dedicate long gay these days so I'm going to show you how to make some surprisingly by just one that you have minutes live games while greece exploration drop is an adventure delivery with friends generations that ok that more next the assassin puzzle the field okay but I like to grow smattering a permitted to challenging tribute to MediaCityUK me floppy bouillon loss even at this point some people want to add in app purchases activities had tasted asking if you met to taste course goes i'm K his wanna see earlier"

I'm still rolling on the floor. Clearly your add would be quite offensive to the hearing impaired :)
  • I loved the wording on PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/29/desktop-dungeons-release-date-set-for-november-7th-will-be-available-on-steam/

Indiegames.com poked me on twitter to ask a couple of questions too: http://indiegames.com/2013/10/500_years_in_the_making_deskto.html

We were front page on /r/games most of yesterday, that was a ton of hits.
  • edited
    There's even a demo, in the form of the original alpha release, freely playable in all its stagnant glory.
    I loved that bit!
  • I have one question...what the hell was in those eggs?
  • edited
    I have one question...what the hell was in those eggs?
    Dwarf Rogue on the left and a Goblin Sorcerer on the right.

(Poke hole in top of egg, drip red food colouring in with straw, stir. Tape egg back up. Have a fun halloween!)
  • dislekcia said:

Dwarf Rogue on the left and a Goblin Sorcerer on the right.
    D: this whole time I was thinking of them as just red eggs, now it turns out I KNEW them !! D:
  • @FanieG: Wow, hilarious mistranslations there - "floppy bouillon" got me in particular XD
  • @Dislekcia - what CD is being grated?
  • @FanieG: It's a Monty Python label on a blank CD.

Nobody is that cruel.
  • edited
    @dislekcia - Arghh!! It is but a flesh wound. Also, dislekcia is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy
  • @dislekcia: Phew, I had wondered when watching that if you were actually defiling such a classic :)
  • Man vs Game was playing DD last night, here's the link for the archive post: http://www.twitch.tv/manvsgame/b/476674898

after Trials at the 4hour mark, I believe, about 57% through the scrob, roughly :P
  • MANvsGAME was a lot of fun :)
  • Awesome voice over on that vid
  • edited
    Time is so close, and there's a lack of goat presence in this thread which is a little scary. Our team is eagerly waiting and cheering you on!

• Oh damn that vid reminds me of one of my favourite DD runs. . .

I am exceited! Though since it's exam season I shall pretend like it isn't coming out for another month >.>
  • almost there, just a few more hours...
  • The Steam release today will include an OSX version, right?
  • @AngryMoose: Yup. Fucking Mac icon formats... rassum frassum argh.
  • THIS IS THE MOMENT WE'VE BEEN WAITING 3 YEARS FOR :D

Drumrollllllllll....

(actually I'm waiting for the iPad version, so erm, still a while yet then :P)
  • @dislekcia - so how did day 1 go?
  • Wooh, congrats!

Thanked by 1Tuism
  • I just got my mail for retrieving my key!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! I almost forgot an official copy is on it's way; I had so much fun from it already.

Well done guys! I hope you make a killing!

Now how will we finish our games... :---////////
  • Well done, looking forward to replaying it all over again on Steam. Still waiting for my key though :)
  • This is bad. There was a reason I swore myself off of MMOs. I had the excuse of DD being unfinished, now I'm screwed.
  • We have a game on Steam.

I have to keep saying that because it doesn't seem real. Thanks everyone. Without places like this and Game.Dev back in the day, DD wouldn't exist.

This is so awesome :) And we made ALL the mistakes with Steam. So errbody that's Greenlit? We can fix you up good.
  • edited
    @dislekcia

Can I ask why you didn't go with Steam trading cards and what is the process for that? Was it too much effort involved, not enough time, or is there some criteria you have to meet?
    While initially I didn't like the idea of them at first, I have to admit I am a collector/crafter. I think they also add a % of sales to the games devs as well?

And yes im sure the community would like to hear all about your steam trials and tribulations :)
  • Just heard the main theme via Danny Baranowsky's twitter feed - sounds like this is one epic soundtrack!
  • @dislekcia, valve have been putting out some vids to the steamworks dev group (they are actually public on Youtube IIRC) about setting stuff up on steam.

Sure you guys have a more in depth view of getting things done, but it's nice to see Valve also doing stuff on their part.
  • Gibbo said:
    Just heard the main theme via Danny Baranowsky's twitter feed - sounds like this is one epic soundtrack!
    It is. It really, really is. The composers absolutely blew it out of the water, although that's no surprise at all given the pedigree.

And as for the game itself, well... I just lost a few hours of my Friday, and I don't regret it in the slightest. Also, Priests are badass.
    Thanked by 1Gibbo
  • Wow, I can't believe it's taken me until now to give DD a good play and realise how insanely fun it is! Well done guys, you've created something really fantastic. I love how the game seems to take that quick play philosophy to the extreme, in that even the movement around the dungeon has no lengthy animations or anything. I feel like I'm getting all the delicious fun instantly :P

However, I am a total dumbass though for taking SEVERAL plays to get the glyph names - haha! :D
  • One thing I'm kinda wondering about is the conversion thing - it feels like it was under-introduced, and sure I did kind of figure it out eventually, but I wonder if less-inclined people would get it - or is it introduced properly much further into the game?

So the gist of it is that any object you pick up can be turned into conversion points which is like... Another form of experience, that levels up a character-specific aspect of the character, right?
  • Awright, got my copy - now just need to figure out how all this works (*is used to shooting and flying games)
  • So I got my key yesterday, set up a remote steam install, did an update before launch opened, chose to get my save from the server and got stuck here:
    You can't click on anything and the tutorial auto-starts that takes me to this point if I restart DD. Im not far though, so will just start again, just thought I would make you guys aware of it :P
    Capture.PNG
    806 x 629 - 1M
  • Hey guys, just wanted to say congratulations on the release of Desktop Dungeons on Steam. Well done to everyone involved! :D
  • @iceblademush: No time for trading cards. Also, their impact and utility on launch for a game is something I'm not entirely sure about... Basically, it seems like it would be a better idea to have the game launch without them and then have the cards be a potential thing you could work on later and release for more press coverage later on. They're certainly not essential to a launch, not compared to something like a trailer ;)

@Manikin: It's awesome seeing streamers get the names and then their chat going crazy with puns. "Lemmisi you endiswal!" became a mantra in the one stream we were watching.

@Tuism: We sort of point at conversion during the tutorials a lot, plus the puzzles make it explicitly clear as well. Some people still miss it, but we've seen really good pickup of it during streams and lets plays so far. I think we might still add an animation to the conversion icon when you're dragging an item - something that gets more "open" as you drag closer to it - but that's not super high priority right now.

@edg3: Yup, that's an old save problem. Price we pay for not resetting progress from the beta, especially as the save rebuild process went through so many additions. Still, it's kinda miraculous that it rebuilt a kingdom at all... New Kingdom will fix the issue.
  • Also, quick update: DD's doing well (according to others, we have no experience to gauge numbers against) - it's not a runaway smash hit, but it's getting really positive feedback, people are loving it on twitter and we're starting to get some neat coverage.

Like this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/08/impressions-desktop-dungeons
  • I can't remember what my password is on the DD beta, and I can't find a way to reset my password. :<