Indie Speed Run event at UCT (?)

Hello all,

So UCT has been contacted about hosting an Indie Speed Run location (following the success of the Global Game Jam). There are a number of factors still to be sorted out, but who would be keen on entering? If there is enough interest we can host it at UCT or somewhere in Cape Town (JHB ppl, maybe the ISR organisers would consider a location there as well?).

So onto those 'factors' I mentioned...

First, an important factor: there's a $25 entrance fee. This is the biggest deal-breaker I think, R250 is a lot of money around here, but there are prizes and "access to big name developers" ("Last year, Notch, Ron Gilbert, Kellee Santiago, Jason Rohrer, Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation and others hand-picked games from the jam to give out something like 20 prizes and $2500 to teams responsible for about 200 different games out of over 30 countries").
Second, it's a 48 hour compo, but can happen any-time from mid July to September, so we can hopefully organise the most convenient time for everyone.

If anyone has any comments, thoughts, suggestions, displays-of-interest, they'd all be welcome. Essentially this has the potential to be a great event, but just hoping the timing (and funding) situations will allow enough of a core to form and ensure a successful event (or an event at all! :p)

All the best to everyone!

P.S: another useful link

Comments

• Just checking over details, and seen that if there is a team of people entering, then the entry fee is split among those people! (so is the prize money, presumably)

\o/
  • Are boardgames allowed? Or is it strictly digital ?
  • I'm keen to do this, provided the dates don't clash with AMAZE Festival.
  • @LexAquillia,

as far as I can tell it's intended to be strictly digital. I couldn't find anything to state this clearly though so I think it'd be best to [url = http://www.indiespeedrun.com/devsite/index.php?option=com_rsform&view=rsform&Itemid]contact them directly.[/url]

Closest references I could find didn't really help a lot
    [quote = Indie Speed Run]game [geym]
    noun
    1. A goal-oriented, interactive experience. We're leaving it at that.[/quote]

[quote = Indie Speed Run]Q: What formats do you accept and how do I upload my game?

A: We currently have no restrictions on what you send us, but please heed the following advice: The more accessable your final format is, the better shot you have at getting played by the community, rated, and earning one of the three peer-chosen finalist slots. It also helps with ease of access for our judges. That being said, our preferred formats are Flash and HTML5 -- basically anything browser-based. After that we prefer .exe files. Everything else is the Wild West. We will do our absolute best to work with you on additional formats, and if you have any specific inquires, you can hit us up directly.[/quote]
    [url = http://www.indiespeedrun.com/devsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=5]ISR Rules[/url]
    [url = http://www.indiespeedrun.com/devsite/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=5]ISR FAQ[/url]

• If we plan it so that it doesn't clash with Amaze, we could do a one-weekend-two-cities thing and have it at Wits and at UCT?

@ProjectX was asked to organise one for jozi; see discussion here:
    http://makegamessa.com/discussion/comment/8318#Comment_8318

If it is open from mid July we could have it right at the beginning of the second semester. At that time students are holidayed out, and all fresh and excited, and professionals, well... the real world unfortunately doesn't stop for month long alcohol breaks.

Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • I'd be keen for this, especially to work in a team of some kind. Also don't mind fronting entry fee for other team members if that aids participation.
  • Definitely keen for this! :D
  • Yeah, I might be keen too if I could join a team.
  • Cool, thanks for the positive response (and sorry for my late reply).

So people seem keen for a non-AMAZE-clashing ISR at UCT. Thing is 1) we need a certain number of people to commit and 2) with all the money going to the ISR competition, there'll be no food supplied as was done at the GGJ (unless people pay an extra, say R50 per person, which drives the already steep cost up). The alternative is Codebridge, which was a good jam site for Ludum Dare, but also was about R40 pp for the facilities (which also didn't include food but there is a fridge full of beers and a Pick n Pay right next door... also it might not exist in a few months, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it).

So what do the clever people around here think would be a solid way to mark people's commitment to it? Or if anyone has any good ideas they'd be welcome! Also, UCT a good venue? What are people's expectations for food and/or coffee? For minimal extra money I think we could organise a kettle, coffee, milk etc, but probably not food. If there is a big expected turnout maybe we can think a bit bigger. What are people willing to put in?

Thoughts?
  • edited
    Hey, I've only seen this now, but I'd also love to commit provided we organize it so that it doesn't clash with A-MAZE, as people mentioned. The entrance fee is no problem, and while I don't think we'd necessarily need to provide food (people could bring their own), we could get an IRL kickstarter going for some coffee for the weekend. UCT or Codebridge is fine too, I reckon.

Re: marking commitment - maybe just make a list from the people responding here, or PM people to confirm? I'm not too sure, I panic at the slightest mention of organizing stuff :D
  • I probably cannot commit if the event is held before August. I might still try make it, but I won't be able to predict that. I can guarantee I'll be crunching on BROFORCE until mid July.

Food and entrance fee doesn't bother me... Jamming on a game is a relatively cheap way to spend a weekend, even when there is said entrance fee.