The Tiny Game Design Tool

edited in General
Found a cool little free booklet:
A poor people's booklet to carry around.

Tiny Game Design Tool is a small, portable booklet created in order to help game designers to come up with cool ideas and get started with a project in a very short time. It was built out of the great Pocket Mod, a tool that allows you to make small booklets to organize your work.

Part design tool, part motivational tool, part silly experiment, the Tiny Game Designer Tool is built out of love and passion for games and game design. We sincerely hope this will be useful for someone!
http://tinygdtool.urustar.net/
Thanked by 1hanli

Comments

• Damn you! I have work to do! Now I'm colouring in with a couple of highlighters I have around the office.

I <3 the framework, I especially see it useful for 48-Hour or MGSA competitions.
    IMG_0411.JPG
    396 x 640 - 97K
  • Hahahaha!

Yeah it's a great idea to generate the scope and focus of a quick prototype...
  • edited
    Going through the little pamphlet what I like is that it introduces the idea of "design before build" and the ideas around a design document.

I know design documents aren't everyone's cup-of-tea, especially among indie/hobbyist developers but it becomes essential in the AAA space.
  • Very cool little book, it think it's a great way just to run your idea through a few check boxes just to test the validity. To ensure that it will be fun.
  • @aodendaal agreed that this is extremely valuable for beginner devs to get their ideas into order. Another good example of design documents can be found in Michelle Menard's "Game Development with Unity". She dedicates an entire chapter to this plus some examples on a resource disc. I imported the book through Exclusive Books for about R500. Other Beginners wanting to get into Unity development (like myself) should definitely check this book out - (ISBN-13: 978-1-4354-5658-7 if you want to order hard copy too).
  • Thanks @duncanbellsa, we used this today for prototyping in a collaborative gamedev project between UCT programmers and City Varsity animators! Very useful indeed :)
  • @creative630 upload pics of your completed guidebooks!
  • Hmmm, I'll ask around if they still have them, though they all took them home as reference for their prototypes :/