[Prototype] Tractor Beam Type Thang

edited in General
Originally started this for Ludumdare, but only started it on Sunday because of a whole bunch of stupid reasons.

Inspired by this:

Unity Web Player: http://pixofile.co.za/jonathan/prototype/tractorbeam01/WebPlayer.html (90kB)

There's no progression or anything; was just trying out the mechanic and exploring whether it felt like fun. Thinking it might be kind of cool as a multiplayer thing, kind of like air hockey, or the Tekken beach ball game.

(I don't know how to stop RMB from bringing up the silly context menu in the web browser, but I don't like that mechanic yet.)

How cool would it be to be able to embed Unity web players in our posts? :P

Comments

• That was awesome man! Felt great when you flung the red blocks at super speed back at the yellow things!
    Interesting mechanic, it was definitely fun for me.
    ++ for embed possibilities!
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • edited
    It's a fun mechanic!

I reckon it could be reduced to only moving left and right, the W and A movement didn't add much.

And the freezing mechanic didn't seem too useful, maybe because I wasn't using W and A, Or at least it didn't seem useful enough to warrant an extra button to learn.

But you need a cool theme next.... like this:

Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • Ah this is really fun!

Visually i love how the object looks when it spins around you, it was pretty mesmerising :D.

Although this feels slightly sacrilegious, I have to disagree with @BlackShipsFilltheSky about the W and A keys. I found they gave me slightly more control in directing the object, especially when they were coming from the middle enemy. I think the W and A keys create a smaller arc around the avatar, which is harder to control because it's faster while the A and D results in a larger, slower arc that is easier to control :). These two resulting arcs of arc could be valuable in different levels - the former in fast and overwhelming situations and the latter in levels requiring more accuracy :).

Having said this, I agree about the redundancy of the freeze button. Stopping the objects felt too boring and controlled in contrast to the crazy spinning without it :). Also, the direction the objects came out after freezing was a little tricky to control, maybe if they were a little slower coming off a freeze, it could be more manageable - but I rather don't allow freezing :).

+1 for Space-Amphibian theme because that CRABITRON video just blew my mind :O.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • I think the game is pretty amazing, and I'd love to see more. I agree with @Bensonance that W and S keys, moving up and down made the enemy's projectiles easier to control. Although I did find that if you destroyed the middle enemy, and then moved to above the other two, they would kill themselves.

I really hope to see more to this game, otherwise I may find myself facing the same three enemies a lot.