Random Topic of the Week - Game Jams

edited in Questions and Answers
Hi everyone,

Because it was Ludum Dare over the weekend I thought it would be a good idea to discuss Game Jams.

It's easy to know what a game jam is once you've been to one, but it might seem like some outlandish term to those new to making games. So first the good old wikipedia definition
[quote = Wikipedia]A game jam is a gathering of game developers for the purpose of planning, designing, and creating one or more games within a short span of time, usually ranging between 24 to 48 hours. Game developers are generally made up of programmers, game designers, artists, and others in game development-related fields.[/quote]

The definition doesn't really capture the atmosphere of a game jam though. A game jam is in a word : AWESOME! It's a maelstrom of code, art, music, sarcastic comments, snacks, liquids and sleep deprived devs that are frantically creating things. It's a really great experience and a great place to learn new things without any pressure(except time pressure :P). The best part of it all is that at the end of it you usually have a game to show off. It might not be the best thing ever, but it's something you made and that feels great. :)

Some jams you might want to join: (Please add anything I didn't)
Ludum Dare
Microsoft Windows 8 Jam
Compo Hub
One game a month

So I thought it would be good idea to share some resources and tips for doing game jams. My tip : Be good enough! Don't worry about making the best thing ever, just have fun with it! :) Also try to join the next jam you can...because you should. :P

Anyone else have some good resources and/or tips they wan't to share?

[url = http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/599/random-topic-of-the-week-resources#Item_1]<-Previous Topic(Resources)[/url]