[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 29 May 2013

edited in Events
Bring games! Play games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 29 May 2013

Where: Microsoft offices, Engen building 2nd floor, Golf Park, Mowbray. https://maps.google.co.za/maps?q=-33.947185,18.4914

What:
- News
- Introductions
- AMAZE in Berlin - @BlackShipsFilltheSky
- The Dark Arts of C# - Delegates, Coroutines and other magic - @raxter
- Tank Arena - @GMax
- Open Floor

Calling for content!

A monthly meetup for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Comments

• edited
    Can I talk about AMAZE in Berlin? (I mean, would folks like that? It'd be very brief, a few jubilant expletives etc)
  • Show us pics!

Saw you on stage on Rami's blog ;)
  • @Blackships I'd like to hear about it! :) I also agree with @dislekcia pics or it didn't happen :P
  • I mentioned a Unity C# tutorial entitled "The Dark Arts of C# - Delegates, Coroutines and other magic" and most people seemed keen last meetup. I'll keep it short so non-programmers won't get too bored (20 mins? Maybe a bit longer if people are interested on the day), but it'll be more an overview of cool things in C# you should know about, look up, and master rather than a laborious tutorial or workshop.
  • edited
    I think I definitely need to make this my first meetup I attend. It sounds really interesting, to both raxter and blackships.

@Raxter, a Unity C# tutorial sounds really interesting. Haven't tried using Unity yet, looks way too complicated, maybe the interested programmers can nag you with questions after the presentation?
  • lol, it's not as much a tutorial more than a bunch of tricks I've picked up lately. There are loads of coders at the meetup though, so there are a fair few people (me included) who can answer questions and set you up with good Unity resources. (Mind you, you can always ask here on the forums about Unity et al, but come to the meetup anyway :p )
  • Hi guys,

I would like to know if I can talk about/and bring a beta of our game Tank Arena to play test and also talk about my experience of making our game as we doing it part time and how we survived it... well kinda survived it... ;) You guys can check the game out here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tank-Arena/160370650697346

We are planing to release on iOS first and then Android a bit later.

I will try and bring as many iPads and iPhones as I can find ;)

Thx.

Jacques
  • Ludum Dare folks keen to show their games? I know I'd be keen to show my effort.
    Thanked by 1raxter
  • Moving to Cape Town in October, first going to have a holiday from July in Lambert's Bay...see I quit my day job today to start actually developing some games there instead of just playing on my pc after work zapped my best energy...

Hope to see you awesome people then!
    Regards,
    Morne Booysen
  • Hi guys, I forgot to ask is it possible that there is a wifi hot spot in the office that I can use to connect to our server with the iPads to show the game and that we can have a play test? Otherwise I'm a bit screwed... :/ (just thought about it now)....
  • @Gmax: There is wifi, but we have to apply for it beforehand and there's limited amounts of access. Best bet for easy wifi access is to put your phone into hotspot mode and use that. Can you manage that?
  • Hi dislekcia, thx for getting back to me on the wifi issue! Ok I thought of doing it through the phone hotspot way but not sure if 8 iPads will have lag when all the ipads are using the one phone connection but Its not a problem even if I can connect 2 ipads or maybe even 4 I "think" it will be enough! Even if its just 2 so that people can feel what its like to play against each other will be great ;) Will try and do a test with the devices. Thanks again! Cheers
  • Am actually super keen to hear @raxters talk and about Amaze in berlin :P
  • edited
    There's a topic I'd like to discuss, though it's not something I think I'm too well versed in, so maybe it could be a kind of discussion format.

But I think that a lot of game developers are doing demo's wrong, or even not at all. Certainly AAA is seeing fewer and fewer demos made, and a smaller and smaller benefit of their demos, and I think it's due to a naive view of the function of demos resulting in just plain bad demo design.

And I think this is something Indies fall victim to as well. Designing demos that harm their sales rather than draw in more customers. Relatively recently XBox Live stopped forcing developers to release demos of their games alongside their games because, as far as I can gather, the demos were hurting developer revenue.

And I'd like to raise a few concerns as to why/how this is happening.

Let me know if anyone would like to have a brief discussion about this. It'd be brief, like the whole thing in 15 minutes or less.
  • Is there anybody coming past UCT that could possibly give me a lift? Would love to hear those talks... =/
  • @D3zmodos: Sure, I can give you a lift.
  • I will be attending this time! Yay! Will bring my girlfriend along.
  • edited
    Will there be anyone video-ing tomorrow? I've got a game that I'd like to play (in relation to a talk about Amaze) and it'd be nice to send the creator some feedback.
  • @Blackships, It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on game demo's its an real important topic!
  • A few of my friends who are indie game LOVERS really want to come see some of the games. Is this a huge problem? or should it be fine?
  • Bring everyone! (we can occupy the adjacent room or stand at the back IF there is an overflow, but I think there'll be space)
  • In the words of Gary Oldman...
    everyone2.jpg
    500 x 224 - 27K
  • edited
    Hi guys, sorry I couldn't make it tonight personal issues!! I wish I could be there to here the discussions on AMAZE! Also another nail in my coffin... our server is down so I couldn't run Tank Arena for you guys to test, we are changing the server setup but the timing is terrible sorry that I couldn't be there and show TA my apologies to everyone!!
  • edited
    No prob, the event was super fun and there were a bunch of cool games shown off.

Didn't do that demo talk (the talk about demos and ways I think a lot of developers do them wrong). I'm going to do some research into open betas and demos and community building and give (what will be) a proper talk next month. Basically a talk a little bit like the one @dislekcia gave ages back, but different. And I think community building and getting yourself exposure and converting players to sales are a topics that cannot be talked about too much (even when the talker is a barely adequate source of insight).
  • Honestly had so much fun at the community night, looking super forward to next month :D
  • edited
    And your game is looking sick! Looking forward to it's progress!

btw. Check out Hammerwatch : http://www.hammerwatch.com/ I think you'll enjoy it (it's still in development of course). Play it with a friend (I haven't actually gotten very far in it, though I intend to try it again because last time it handed my own ass to me).
  • Will do :) am gonna do some relaxing gaming after I finish studying for exams >.<
  • Does anybody know who that marketing company that came last night was?

I didn't get a chance to chat to them afterwards. They said they were a company that "marketed indie games". I think their name was something like "Spindle Games" (though not actually that).
  • Here's to hoping that they show up on the forum! I was keen to talk to them too.
  • Hey guys,

Pieter here from Slingshot Games (Spindle lol), we are the company that "markets indie games" ;)

I have started a discussion about it for those interested: http://www.makegamessa.com/discussion/685/indie-game-marketing

Kind regards,
    Pieter