[Event] JHB Community Night - 14 May 2013

edited in Events
Bring games! Play games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Tuesday 14 May

Where: Microsoft Campus Bryanston, 3012 William Nicol Drive, Bryanston, Johannesburg

What:
- News
- System Crash - @Garethf
- 10 things every game needs Part 2 - @Rigormortis
- Ludum Dare 26 Round-up - @Bensonance
- Brawler Design - @ProjectX
- Open floor

Calling for content!

Comments

• Round 2 of 10 Things every game needs.
  • I just watched Jenova Chen's Making of Journey video. It's just under an hour long...

BUT IT IS SO INCREDIBLY GOOD. I know it's a lot of time to be watching a screen, but it'd be worth it!

Perhaps someone else with Vault access can do a sanity check and make sure I wasn't super emotional about it for no reason? :P http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017700/Designing
  • I kind of have to throw a second behind @Elyaradine

In a way it feels like what a lot of people were expecting IGTM to be, but I kind of find it hard to put into words how powerful that video actually is.

I challenge anyone to find a better way to spend an hour!
  • Gareth Fouche will be joining us I think! Would be awesome to reserve some time for him to show System Crash. :D
  • Considering that a local development team is creating a brawler, by the name of CLASH... I was thinking of doing a talk on Brawler Design at a stage... If this month is already full then I can do it next month...
  • Nope, there's still space for you ProjectX.

And it definitely be great if @Garethf could say something about System Crash
  • What about the "Making of Journey" video? I know a lot of people would like to see that... so I'd rather take a backseat so that we can watch that
  • It is rather long... Maybe we could have a separate screening for that? Or play it afterwards for people who want to watch, and anyone who doesn't or can't can chat outside or leave?

I'd like to hear what more people think. :)
  • I'd prefer to have interaction in the meeting and do the screening afterwards. You will also need internet access (which is easy enough to organise) if you can't save the video to disk.
  • Yep, I'm in Joburg this month so I'll be there. :) I'll bring System Crash along and discuss its design and development.
    Thanked by 2Rigormortis Fengol
  • Hey guys,

Would it be possible if I could have a quick 5 min presso on the game dev course I finished lecturing last month? I'd love to spread the word and get some feedback :)

Thanks
    Thanked by 1hanli
  • Fantastic, thanks :D
  • Is anyone willing to do a Ludum Dare 26 round up? Demo a bit of the games made locally, talk about their experience and some of the competition (there's been a few titles mentioned on Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
  • looking forward to it!
  • is there a facebook event?
  • Not yet, I'll find a gap to create one later today. The Meetup event is up though
  • I'd be happy to do a round up of the local games made locally :). Although I doubt there will be time this month :).
  • Hi wish I knew about this date earlier, darn I'm on leave but in Dullstroom.

Well from July I have quite my job, to go out in the world again and hopefully start more seriously developing games (with Game Maker)...so I will be sure to visit you if I end up in JHB, or the other group in CT if I move there! So much for my chemical engineering career haha, exciting times. Have fun!
  • @Elyaradine I think save the Journey talk for a month with less content ;)

Also I made a little game, and I am hoping to find some guinea pigs volunteers to playtest at the meeting :3
    Thanked by 1Bensonance
  • Hi

I am new to the forum as was wondering if I can just pitch-up for this event or do I need to do something specific to attend?
  • Just show up! :)
  • Awesome I will be there :)
  • Ah, my apologies guy, I won't be able to make it tomorrow night, something rather urgent has popped up.
    Will have to do my presentation next month :(.
  • Awesome! See you guys later :D !
  • Hi All, I won't be able to make it tonight unfortunately. Hope all goes well.
  • Not going to make it. In the words of Sweet Brown: "I got bronchitis."

I hope it is not trade marked.
  • I'm so sorry but I can't make tonight and I particularly wanted to catch @Garethf's talk. Can someone with an iPhone record the session and let me know so I can get it from you?
  • Haven't we got people recording the talk usually? Or hasn't that been happening of late? Our content management needs to be taken up a notch perhaps...
  • I'll see if my phone can hold that much video, it's a bit full already...
  • Ain't nobody got time for bronchitis!
  • In case anybody didn't get to see it (and because it's free to watch now): http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017700/Designing
  • @aodendaal hope you get better soon, I forgot to record the beginning of the talk, but that was more a mechanical presentation of the game so it was ok, I did catch more interesting chatter bits, so you can get it from me when you're better!
  • Sorry I couldn't make it guys, last minute issues with car availability.. I was really looking forward to @garethf's talk too :(
    @Tuism could I get that video from you too please? Do we have somewhere we can host video like that? Youtube maybe?
  • I tried to share the video to youtube from iPhone, but it said it was too long... I'm uploading it to Dropbox first now to see if desktop sharing can take 15 min video...

Otherwise, er, ideas?

And it's not the whole talk! Sorry! I forgot and only remembered to start it after quite a while!
  • The Journey talk was awesome! So glad I got to watch that, and also seeing System Crash was great, that's actually a game I could really get into! Great success guys! Awesome meet! :D
  • Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! Was a cool evening, really enjoyed meeting and chatting with everyone. And cool video choice @Elyaradine :)

@Tuism - If you're hitting Youtube's 15 mb limit (and it's not a problem related to uploading from your phone) you can increase your upload limit by verifying your account - link.
  • Can't you just slice the video up into 15 minute chunks? That's what most people do when they run up against the account limit. Or is that difficult if the video's phone-based?
  • I'm pretty sure I've verified the MGSA Youtube account... @Tuism, if you can dropbox/ftp me the video I'll try and upload it
  • edited
    Here's the Gareth System Crash video... I verified my account, it was easy :) Just wasn't given the option to do so from my phone. Wonder if it will work from my phone now to you yotube... But anyhoo I digress: