Blendogames blog post about answering "How do I get into games"

edited in General
http://blendogames.com/news/?p=601

Go, read it. Then disagree violently for our amusement!

Seriously, it has some really good points, allow me to present a curated selection:

"Someone smarter than me once described game development as jumping out of an airplane with nothing but a needle and a silkworm."

"By “present,” I mean you stare at the player as they play your game. They play. You watch. They’ll ask you questions, and you reply with a stare. Silently. Gravely. With your steely butternut eyes."

"Then you make a new build and find new friends to rest your steely butternut eyes on."

"But the game’s not done with you. The tower is gluttonous and hungers for more, making the tower more shaky, more warty, more farty."
Thanked by 1Elyaradine

Comments

• Yeeeeees!
    Wisdom!
    Drink it IIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!
  • I totally agree with making lots of stuff but I can't help but have a pang of guilt over each project I drop and leave behind, especially when someone says "what's happening with that game you were making?" And I just know I'll never go back to it.
  • edited
    @aodendaal, just get comfortable with saying "It sucked so I trashed it...but look at this new thing you can ask me about next time" :P

"That’s a span of about fifteen years between me first starting game development, to making something I liked. Fifteen years of making really awful stuff."

WOW! Now that's some motivation right there...only about 14 more years to go for me :P

I want to emphasize what he says about playtesting. Don't give tips or explanations. You have to see if the game explains itself well enough, something my prototypes fail at miserably most of the time. Also, don't sit a single person down in front of your game. People will automatically starting thinking out loud when they have someone with them while playing and the conversation can give you A LOT of great feedback.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Lovely read. This part in particular hit close to home: "And you’ll restart the cycle all over again, because you know your next project is going to be ten times better, and damn that’s addictive."
  • Probably the best read I've had on the subject, even though it is very simple in its nature.
  • I totally agree with making lots of stuff but I can't help but have a pang of guilt over each project I drop and leave behind, especially when someone says "what's happening with that game you were making?" And I just know I'll never go back to it.
    Totally agreed. I just gotta get over the fact that I know I'll have a pile of stuff before I get anywhere good.

BUT half the time I just feel that it's my lack of skill that has left the proto there lame... Not that they're not good (enough).

Grrrr.
  • Thanks for posting this. I've been struggling with the idea of letting go of Astro Cab following endless hours trying to force-fuck Good Gameplay(tm) into it, when in truth I've started a new project that I'm already feeling better about. I guess I feel bad about giving up on something I was very positive about, but I'll never lose the skills I learned while making it, so I guess it can't ever be considered a loss.
  • edited
    Some people give up on everything too easily while others stick to things far too resolutely. I think it's a bit of a balancing act TBH. The thing you really don't want to do is be spending time just because you've spent "all that time" in the past.

Letting stuff go doesn't have to mean abandoning it forever, maybe you're simply putting it aside while it waits for the next awesome idea to come along that will help make it better. I know I've come back to ideas that I thought were dead and seen new sides to them because I've learned new things in the meantime.
  • Some people give up on everything too easily while others stick to things far too resolutely.
    Guilty of the former. Agrees with article 100%

Also, While not strictly on topic I'd like to commend the writing style. Verbosity should be a crime.
  • Also, While not strictly on topic I'd like to commend the writing style. Verbosity should be a crime.
    Guilty.
    Thanked by 1D3zmodos