[Event] Cape Town Meetup - 29 May 2019

edited in Events

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 2 x 20 min slots
- WordBaaS
- TBD - Q&A about Funding or AMA about doing an Open Beta for an MMO or GDC talk

Focused Feedback - 2 x 10 min slots
- Heavenly Bodies
- TBD (this could be you!)

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2282918768594939/

If you'd like to give a talk or show something to get feedback, please post below!
Thanked by 1Fengol

Comments

• @damousey: Should I add your "Art Mash" to the agenda? What's the title and/or is there a synopsis for FB?
    Thanked by 1damousey
  • edited
    @damousey: Should I add your "Art Mash" to the agenda? What's the title and/or is there a synopsis for FB?
    yes please, anywhere in there. I'll get something to you by the end of today.
  • edited
    I'm keen to attend!

Is there a need for talks?
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • @EvanGreenwood: a good talk or two would always be appreciated!
  • edited
    @Damousey suggested last time (I think with @Merrik) that there be a discussion panel about "Programmers working with artists and visa versa". The discussion didn't happen then, but it's still an interesting subject I think.

I wonder whether a talk about game funding... just about the different options available... could be interesting? I feel like a few people in the community have better ideas about how to get funding and it's worth disseminating that information at some point so people who are struggling to start off their careers at least know what is possible (obviously there is no easy money, but some money is easier than others).
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • Hey! Could @blacksheepza and I grab a focused feedback slot for our game 'Heavenly Bodies'? Thanks!

beachknife_compressed.gif
    928 x 520 - 5M
  • Hey guys,

I've been working on a Wordpress/Unity Back-end As A Service product called WordBaaS and I'd love to get some industry feedback!

Functionality includes;
    * Middleware functionality, allowing you to embed and synchronise content and data structures from WordPress directly into your Unity project.
    * Auto-generated API using predefined templates.
    * Add your own templates to include in API export.
    * OAuth2 authentication.
    * Multiple App Clients
    * Per App Client NodeJS server instance with GIT integration (experimental, minimal dependencies).
    * RESTful, TCP, and UDP (in progress)
    * Example NodeJS TCP and UDP public GIT repos to get you started (in progress)

Would it be possible for me to get a speaking opportunity to do a presentation?
    Thanked by 1Fengol
  • I've updated the agenda. See you folks later today! :)

If there's time, maybe we can do a Q&A about games funding too?
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • Last minute update to the agenda. Art Mash has been postponed, but in its place we can do the Q&A or I can tell folks about my weekend, aka "AMA about doing an Open Beta for an MMO"
  • Heya, I have a game set in the middle ages that I am busy making, about murdering townsfolk, and stealing their body parts to build monsters to over throw the monarchy, it's called "The Body Snatcher". I'ts still in "tech toy" phase, and don't really need a focused feedback session just yet, but I can show it on the open demo floor.
    Thanked by 2francoisvn Tuism
  • Horrifyingly delightful!