Horror Code

Hi guys, I want to start of by saying that I have no development skills but I do have some experience in writing a story.
The game that can be made from this story will teach players how to code in SQL, Java, HTML5, CSS and perhaps C# in addition it could also help with networking(software configuration and hardware setup.

Genre: Horror, Sci-fi, Adventure, Puzzle, Educational.
Try to imagine your self as the player being stuck with no communication on a space vessel wreckage.
Some terminals are still functional and they require input [programming language] in order to help the player progress through the story.
While the player digs up old manuals, logs and scripts that can be found all over the ship he acquires knowledge of the software & hardware.
Little does the player know that he/she is not alone.
In order to by pass gates, rogue security machinery and the unknown life forms that hide in the shadows he has the option to reprogram anything to do as he wishes.

With that said this story does not have one outcome to every event.
Let me give you an example:
The user finds him self in his own room as he awakes from a self induced coma. He looks round and spots a desk, a door that seems locked and a terminal awaiting security input. When the user interacts with the terminal he spots a logo "Securinet" followed by a user name and a password. The user is unaware of the credentials and starts looking around on his desk. He finds a file containing a photo of himself, a back ground of his profession and then a list of his qualifications. He then acquires a small device the size of a raspberry pi that is attached to a display monitor. Once he turns on the device a small tutorial video starts, the recording sounds old and the voice is almost unclear due to the static "Hello space traveler and welcome to the "S.A.M" Securinet Assistance Management tutorial." A small video clip informs the user that the device has IDE's and management applications already installed, all the user has to do is to connect the device with any Securinet terminal in order to interact with the main server. After the tutorial the machine scans the user's eye and then presents his profile that contains his user name, password, security level and tasks that were assigned to him by his line manager. These tasks represent what the user will interact with during the game(i.e if the user only wants to learn about SQL then he simply ticks the option and the story will then only expose SQL objects to him through out his adventure)

Then the user can do the following:
1. Input his credentials and the door opens
2. Connect his S.A.M to the terminal and access Databases, security cams, solutions, logs and perhaps clues that could assist with what lies ahead.
2.1 When the user interacts with some of the software he/she is likely to receive an "Authentication failed due to security level" error message which will drive the user to explore and find a way to access sensitive information.

So first of all I would like feed back on this story as I can imagine creating something like this could take a lot of time and will require some highly skilled people to work together.
Secondly I would like to know if a game like this would even be popular?

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment!

Comments

• There are definitely a few games that incorporate a similar code teaching game progression.
    I think its a fun idea. How popular it Could be may be answerable by some of the more seasoned vets here...
  • Moga said:
    There are definitely a few games that incorporate a similar code teaching game progression.
    I think its a fun idea. How popular it Could be may be answerable by some of the more seasoned vets here...
    Thanks for the feed back Moga.

I'll wait patiently for more feed back.

If its not a bother I would like to know about these games that are similar?
  • looking for the example now...I saw it in Gamer magazine a few years back..
  • Moga said:
    looking for the example now...I saw it in Gamer magazine a few years back..
    Probably not what you're thinking of, but I quite enjoyed Human resource Machine, which teaches logic processes and stuff.
  • It sounds like a cool idea, though ultimately I have no idea whether something that sounds pretty cool will or will not translate into a good game and generate good sales. There are too many variables that would swing the outcome this way or that. I'm certain that not even the most experienced game developer could tell you whether these words would translate into a "popular game".

If you're really into the idea, I would recommend that you look into building something that would show the idea off and test it. Every single game starts at a tiny prototype, it doesn't have to be polished at all, it just has to demonstrate the core ideas, for some people to find it interesting and perhaps convince them to work with you further on the idea.
  • Moga said:
    looking for the example now...I saw it in Gamer magazine a few years back..
    https://technomancy.itch.io/bussard, perhaps?
  • Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it a lot! , @Tuisim, I have picked up a small Unity course perhaps I can flesh it out better that way.

I will keep posts here with general updates if any one is interested to check it out :)
    Thanked by 1Tuism