zX - retroFuture: Updates and WIP demo

edited in Projects
Hello everyone. I would like to present you all with a playable demo of zX. I have submitted it for the A MAZE festival in Germany. Here is a link to the demo (+-40mb).
Note: there is currently no music, but will soon be supplied by the magnificent @Nick_W. Many thanks to @Karuji for design and coding advice. There is one world with 11 levels (and 1 secret level) available to play.
Second note: All available levels are unlocked as this version is designed for public display at A MAZE. The original version requires levels to be completed and unlocked (semi)sequentially.

Vote for zX on Steam Greenlight.

Here are screenshots from the demo.
Enjoy and let me know what your impressions are :)

...Oh and BTW, please let me know if you discover the hidden level.
zX01.png
1280 x 800 - 80K
zX02.png
1280 x 800 - 137K
zX03.png
1280 x 800 - 112K
zX04.png
1280 x 800 - 194K
zX05.png
1280 x 800 - 95K
zX06.png
1280 x 800 - 146K
zX08.png
1280 x 800 - 151K
zX07.png
1280 x 800 - 115K
zX09.png
1280 x 800 - 150K
Thanked by 1Elyaradine

Comments

• edited
    The new prettier graphics are looking sweet! I love the little touches when I change weapon.

Love the colour aberration when I get hurt.

Sad to see fewer "crikey"s.

Like that there are more mini-boss type things.

Some critical feedback:

The interface is not too hot. I think it is taking up more screen real estate than it needs to with decorations.

The lava levels run slow. Sometimes when there are a ton of particles it also runs slow, but that is understandable. But the entirety of the lava levels run slow. My laptop isn't the best, but it can run DOTA 2 and Spec Ops the Line fine.

I'm just not a fan of hit-test damage... it makes sense when the enemies are smaller, more missile like... but bumping into the boss doing as much damage as bumping into a bullet feels wrong to me. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CollisionDamage It bothers me even more to when I attack with my melee attack and I'm trying to damage them but they damage me instead.

The evil red glowing trees read like enemies (because the silhouettes with tron colours are exclusively on enemies). Though the evil tree looks cool... Basically I'd like to be able to kill it.

I think the game needs a little story to give the player purpose, OR a strong meta-game compulsion loop to compel the player from stage to stage. Not sure if this is in the plans. This is something we're worrying about in Broforce as well.
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky Thank you for the feedback.

Glad you like the new graphics and especially the CRT/RGB distortion upon being damaged... I felt a lot of pride when I incorporated that effect into the game.

Whilst I like my interface, I will consider changing it if this proves to be a problem for more players.

The lava definitely levels need optimization. I thought it might just be my machine, but it appears to be a universal problem. Some of these issues may be resolved when I re-compile in Game Maker: Studio, which apparently is much faster... but this remains to be seen. Either way, it needs to be sorted.

I am in 2 minds now about the damage dealt when the player hits the boss or enemies, I want the player to be cautious near an enemy and earlier games that I have enjoyed featured this kind of damage, but I don't want to discourage them from using the melee attack, the most important attack in the game.

I also see your point with the evil trees... in fact, I think I should turn them into enemies.

There is a very rough story setup for the game, which I have yet to implement preferably with illustrated, text-less panels. I only want there to be enough story to contextualize the setting for the player. My big problem is how to make a satisfying payoff for the player at the end of the game... and how to explain why the game doesn't really end (all levels will remain playable.). Whilst I am sorry to hear that this is a problem for you guys on Broforce, I am at least pleased that I'm not alone in this.
  • edited
    No prob! If I figure out any other relatively easy to implement tweaks I'll let you know...

Not exactly easy to implement... but I wonder if you'd consider doing slight variations in level mode...

We're fiddling with level modes at the moment in Broforce, so I'm thinking about ways in our game to change the rules slightly in some levels to create more variety (like win the level through assassination, or escape a collapsing temple, or surfing inter-continental missiles). Seems like a good way to keep players interested.

I mean like, in ZX, say one level you start and it tells you to run to the right and enemies start spawning behind you... more enemies than you can actually kill... and you have to escape by running right... There could even be a wall of explosions chasing you.

All the levels I've seen in ZX, except the boss fights, are essentially explore the level and kill the three floating harmless aliens that drop fire-type pickups... The boss fights are a nice change of pace. Might be cool to have more things that change the pace? (assuming they're possible to implement)

Also, do you have a boss that shoots out lots of little aliens instead of bullets? Like a mother-ship boss. Seems like your game is suited to having a lot of types of bosses.

Also a giant stationary boss. Like one that is rooted on the right hand side of the screen and spawns enemies and patterns of deadly bullets.

(I know bosses aren't easy to make, but ZX is begging for more bosses, the one that I did fight in the recent build was definitely a highlight)
  • edited
    @BlackShipsFilltheSky I have just built a level that has rising lava, and I love it, REALLY love it. Gonna see what other kinds of variations to add to some of the levels. I had in fact added 'level achievements to the game a few months back (incl. use only the blade, don't get hit, and a third one which for some reason I can't recall.) but I soon removed them as they felt like an 'schlepp' that created a contrivance to artificially lengthen the game (not really keen on '100% completion'... as it is implemented in some games)

I am actually amazed (considering my noobishness at programming) at how easy it was to build the rising lava level! (better pat my own back... lol)

I had previously considered a 'wall-mounted' boss similar to the level 1 boss in R-Type, but your additional suggestion has clinched it for me.
  • Oooh! Can't wait to play it!