Physics cable car built in Unreal 4 full ride WORK IN PROGRESS

edited in Projects
The full ride version of the physics cable car I built in Unreal 4.
The little spheres concept results in too many collision calculations do that is why the wheels are flicking around.
In the next version I will simplify by using "tubes" of wire so that only two collision meshes are passing underneath the wheels at any given time.
I already tested that and it works a lot better. Wheels a lot more stable.
Keep in mind this is 200 year old cable car or something all rusted up in the game story.
So its o.k. if its very unstable :-)

The game project is here: http://escapefrommillstation.com/

Comments

• looks cool. i dig the foggy environment. feels cold
  • Since the cable car is always going in a straight line, is there any reason you need to use physics at all? Couldn't you just tween the car along a path? If you still wanted the slight shacking you could fake that as well (and you'd have more control over that because it wouldn't be effecting physics).

During this ride is there audio telling a story or something? I skipped through most of the video because it was just the same thing for 4 minutes. So if there isn't anything particular happening during this, maybe consider shortening it.
    A similar intro is this one from Half Life

It is about the same length, but they use it to show credits, and there is a voice explaining things as you go.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • edited
    roguecode said:
    Since the cable car is always going in a straight line, is there any reason you need to use physics at all? Couldn't you just tween the car along a path? If you still wanted the slight shacking you could fake that as well (and you'd have more control over that because it wouldn't be effecting physics).

During this ride is there audio telling a story or something? I skipped through most of the video because it was just the same thing for 4 minutes. So if there isn't anything particular happening during this, maybe consider shortening it.
    A similar intro is this one from Half Life

It is about the same length, but they use it to show credits, and there is a voice explaining things as you go.
    Hi roguecode,

Thanks for your comments.
    Yes the ride is very long but its only the skeleton and it still needs meat around the bones.
    The entire ride is a level in itself so lots of things will happen along the way.
    I don't know about tweening but I will note that down and try it.
    Sounds interesting.
    It was just fun building it with physics because it was hard to do and I wanted to see if it will work or not.
    It was a guilty pleasure more than common sense :-)
    Watched the train ride intro in that Half Life video its interesting.
    But in my game you will have things to do before you reach the top.

• Kulu said:
    looks cool. i dig the foggy environment. feels cold
    Thanks yeah this is still the old fog in Unreal there is new volumetric fog out now in version 4.18 that
    interacts with light, shows shafts of light, etc.
    I will probably use that in the final game build.