[Project] Retro Pixel Smasher

edited in Projects

Hey guys

I have been working on a 2D platformer game, Retro Pixel Smasher. The focus is to make it fun & challenging with a little story line to give it some meaning, survival mode for quick coin collections.

It would be great to get some help on ideas and improvements please. ( & if someone wants to help me code the shit out of it :D )

Initial Idea
  • 2D Platformer that is easy to control on mobile
  • Make use of some old/new school platformer game obstacles - but not to exactly mimic (mario, ice climber, meatboy)
  • Introducing new mechanics
  • Vertical game play - end of level is at top of level (where boss fights will be)
  • Arcade styled game feel with visuals and audio FX

The game is pretty much a long way from complete
  • Level building
  • level mechanics and obstacles
  • Powerups
  • Enemies and AI
  • Player Store/Upgrades
  • Overall polish of every element and testing

Open Beta [early access] on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guineapixel.retropixelsmasher

Guinea Pixel link to game overview and story line:
http://guinea-pixel.com/app/retro-pixel-smasher/

Any ideas and improvements & if someone wants to help me. (Unity C#)

See attached gifs for indication of gameplay, feel and visuals.

imageimageimageimageimage
pixel2.jpg
1024 x 500 - 280K
WIP2.gif
509 x 465 - 4M
WIP3-shareUI.gif
512 x 911 - 6M
WIPPlatforms2.gif
509 x 644 - 10M
cratesWIP2.gif
253 x 258 - 9M
SurvivalWIP2_opt.gif
335 x 500 - 10M
WIP4-BossTesting.gif
512 x 370 - 5M

Comments

• Played a little, this is a very nice game, presentation and execution. Only thing I would moan about is the somewhat forceful request for an email address when you click the save button and also the lack of an exit button of some sort (level and game).

I can't offer my help, since I have a million things on my plate, but it looks like you are doing very well on your own. Good luck.
  • Thanks @critic for checking it out. The Save feature is for saving the game remotely - I will clarify this to the user, thanks.

Yeah I have the same problem by working 9 hours a day and trying to finish my own projects 4-6 hours every night. I am beginning to notice that sleep is important being 30 lol :)
  • I like the idea. maybe have a 'dismemberment' feature.

eg. since the characters look like skeletons. have a level with a small opening in the wall. have the player dismember a skeleton arm that can fit in the small opening. then explore or play the level as the dismembered part. hahahaha just a thought. i havent played the game. but i would draw ideas from already established mechanics and designs.

good job so far.
  • haha I like your ideas :D Thanks @Kulu Hopefully I can get time for something like that!
  • @guineapixel I'm super busy right now, and haven't had a chance to play. Those gifs look very enticing though!

I can't tell from the gifs what the coins get for the player. Is there a particular game that's inspiring you to put coins in?

(Not saying I'm against coins, I love a lot of games built around collecting coins, I'm just wondering what you're doing with the coins)
  • @EvanGreenwood Thanks for checking out the post - yeah this time of the year is always super busy!

Coins are used for the player upgrades and to customize character outfit/look. (See attached gif - I still have a lot items to do, the current items are placeholder/test and not final)

The Mario type game play combined with Ice Climber basically forced me to use coins...without it, it feels super empty and incomplete...almost against the rules of making a retro game lol.

Store.gif
    509 x 886 - 8M