Figuring out a date for another South African game jam.

Free Lives wants to hold (and sponsor) another SA Game Jam, like the one held last year.

Like last year there will be prizes for a number of categories, like best student game, best hobbyist game, best visuals, best sound etc. These will be available to all South African developers who fit into these categories.

We'd like to do it over a weekend, a 48hour jam, with the option for developers to submit one day late for a 72hour jam, like last year.

We're thinking of arranging it for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of September. This will place it just over a month after Ludum Dare 39, and a few weeks before A MAZE Johannesburg.

We'd be arranging a Cape Town venue for people to come jam at, though the submission will be online and available to anyone in South Africa.

How does this sound? Particularly how do those dates sound?

Comments

• This is super exciting! I was sad that I was going to miss LD39 but now there is another awesome Jam to look forward to :)
    It sounds like you have found a good middle point with the 1-3 Sept date. I'm sure most people will have recovered from LD after a month and will be rearing to get back at it again.
    Will the games be showcased at A MAZE again like last year?
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    @blacksheepZA The plan is to replicate what we did last year. So we'd hope we could show the games at A MAZE again, though this year it'd be shorter notice.

That said, are there any suggestions as to what we could/should do differently from last year?
    Thanked by 1blacksheepZA
  • Honestly, last years SA game jam was one of the smoothest jams I've been a part of. I will continue to think on the subject but at this point there isn't much that I could suggest in terms of improvements...
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Stoked to see you're doing this again this year - the previous SA Game Jam was awesome!

Those dates look cool to me!
  • I'll only be back in the country after the 4th, but that's just me as one person, so I guess what I'm saying is - Full sails, I'll join in spirit :)

Last year's SA game jam was fantastic, really loved it, can I jam in spirit after the actual event? :P
  • @Tuism Obviously we'd like everyone to participate on the weekend, rather than jam games trickling in or people just putting the jam off until convenient and then not jamming. So we'd only consider games done within the timeframe for the judging/feedback.

But if you cannot make it we'd still love to play your game! We loved your game last year!
    Thanked by 1Tuism
  • Yeah of course, I don't expect exceptions to be made :) I'll likely just try and jam something anyway :) Full steam ahead, Toot tooot :)
  • The date has been set!

https://www.facebook.com/events/156555761580565/

We'll make a post here on the forums in a bit (possibly Monday).