3D Blender model of Catalina PBY plane for game trailer cinematic and standalone ...

Comments

• etiennea said:
    the prototype is just a blocked out version of the game at this point and not very interesting to watch any gameplay at this stage.
    I have some screen recordings of level walk through here (towards the end):
    You should consider sharing your prototype and making it available for download. It looks like something people can probably play and give you feedback on already :)
  • etiennea said:
    the prototype is just a blocked out version of the game at this point and not very interesting to watch any gameplay at this stage.
    I have some screen recordings of level walk through here (towards the end):
    You should consider sharing your prototype and making it available for download. It looks like something people can probably play and give you feedback on already :)
    2 problems there.

Not much to do in the levels that are only blocked out at this point and the other thing is the game relies heavily on plot twists and story "moments" so if it leaks out it wont be fun to play when people need to start guying it :-)

• edited
    Painting specular maps with texture paint tools inside Blender.
    I am painting in the 3D viewer straight onto the objects.

• Did they often paint numbers onto these older planes?

:P
  • Did they often paint numbers onto these old planes?

• roguecode said:
    Did they often paint numbers onto these old planes?

It was how they kept track of how many planes they shot down :-)

No that is my UV mapping.
    Once I start painting in the textures it will replace all the numbers.
    The numbers help me see what to paint where if I am painting in Photoshop or Gimp outside of Blender.

• I think it looks kinda cool as a paper airplane with a conspiracy theorist's lunatic scribbling all over it. :D

Is there a reason you weight painted it? It looks like, as a mechanical, hard surface object, it could be rigged as-is without the weight painting.

You absolutely can play-test story. If the game's really good, there will be plenty of people who haven't played it who can still buy it. If the game isn't, nobody will care enough to share it anyway. I mean, it might matter if you were sharing the game on a games site with very high traffic, but this is a game dev forum on the tip of Africa: a niche group within a niche group. It doesn't have to be with us, but you absolutely should be showing it to other people, especially people who aren't afraid to tell you if it's bad, and people who might have a rough idea of the monetary value of the product, or might give suggestions on where the most immediate/biggest gains on your investment might be, and what sorts of hooks might be worth spending 2-3 months working on. (Especially because I don't think one of those hooks is likely to be a cinematic plane. I've never been involved in the 3D model-selling market, mainly because my impression is that it's not great out there.) Obviously if you're doing this just for fun, then screw it, just keep on keeping on, and express yourself in wonderful, creative ways.

Where do you stay? If you're not comfortable posting things online, you could show progress at one of the meetups if you're in the area.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • I think it looks kinda cool as a paper airplane with a conspiracy theorist's lunatic scribbling all over it. :D

Is there a reason you weight painted it? It looks like, as a mechanical, hard surface object, it could be rigged as-is without the weight painting.

You absolutely can play-test story. If the game's really good, there will be plenty of people who haven't played it who can still buy it. If the game isn't, nobody will care enough to share it anyway. I mean, it might matter if you were sharing the game on a games site with very high traffic, but this is a game dev forum on the tip of Africa: a niche group within a niche group. It doesn't have to be with us, but you absolutely should be showing it to other people, especially people who aren't afraid to tell you if it's bad, and people who might have a rough idea of the monetary value of the product, or might give suggestions on where the most immediate/biggest gains on your investment might be, and what sorts of hooks might be worth spending 2-3 months working on. (Especially because I don't think one of those hooks is likely to be a cinematic plane. I've never been involved in the 3D model-selling market, mainly because my impression is that it's not great out there.) Obviously if you're doing this just for fun, then screw it, just keep on keeping on, and express yourself in wonderful, creative ways.

Where do you stay? If you're not comfortable posting things online, you could show progress at one of the meetups if you're in the area.
    Hi,

Yes you are correct its all hard surface modeling except for the wings and cables.
    I found that weight painting was little faster than assigning vertices groups. :-)
    All it took was a quick swipe with brush.
    I will test gameplay once the levels and characters are up to a level where its worth testing.
    Right now its too simple and only one or two characters are animated.
    I am actually in Bellingham, Washington state in the U.S. so little far away but the web is always just one click away :-)
    Thanks for your input.

• edited
    First test render with colors in ...

Slightly better shader adjustments.

• I will of course add little things like the threads in the tires :-)
  • Texturing progress.

Thanked by 2critic roguecode
  • Looking good!
  • roguecode said:
    Looking good!
    Thank you :-)

• Added some lights.

Thanked by 1critic
  • edited
    Weathering main body.

• edited
    Rear wheels texturing.

• edited
    Wing textures in.

• edited
    Hi everyone.

My 3D Blender model of the Catalina PBY plane for my U4 game project's cinematics is completed and
    is available as a standalone here:

http://worldofclouds.com/mcatpby.html

Thank you for your kind support. :-)

Specifications:

Model was built by Etienne Andlau
    eandlau@gmail.com
    www.CLIKFOOT.com
    www.WorldofClouds.com

1. Verts: 841 348
    2. Faces: 786 753
    3. Objects: 316
    4. Mem: 785.10M
    5. All external images packed inside Blender scripts.
    6. This model was built in Blender version 2.78c.
    7. The model was built with scene settings as it should be set up
    for the Unreal 4 game engine import. Metric, scale at 0.01, Z
    facing up, X forward, etc. 
    8. The model consists of roughly 316 objects that are not joined but
    they are all parented to the same armature. 
    9. Its one simple bone structure with one root bone and no constraints or IK.
    10. A non triangulated and triangulated version included.
    11. Textures, bump maps and specular maps included. 
    12. UV unwrapped layouts included. 
    13. No animations included. 
    14. All objects of the plane pivot point set at 0,0,0. 
    15. Wing flaps work, tail fin works, wing tip floaters retract,
    wheels retract, propellers spin, rear gun station doors slide open and close.
    16. Decals can be removed or changed.

Thank you.

• Just to show what the plane looks like inside Unreal.
    I selected all the parts / objects of the plane inside Blender.
    I applied their transformations to set pivot for all the parts to 000.
    Then I deleted the armature to make everything a static mesh.
    I then selected everything again and exported as one single static mesh .fbx from Blender.
    Then I imported the .fbx into Unreal 4.
    It took a while to process but imported without errors.
    Then I selected all the meshes in Unreal and just dragged them into the viewer and onto the map.
    With all of them still selected I dragged them around to place it where I wanted it to go.
    I could select individual objects / meshes and finer adjust their position.
    Lighting build went fine without any errors. :-)
    I haven't build the shaders / materials yet inside U4 that will be the next step.

• edited
    Building the shaders and materials inside Unreal.