Sprite Software

edited in General
Hey guys. What image editing software would you recommend for making sprites? Thanks

Comments

• I use Paint.NET mostly
  • Depending on what you need and want there are a few, if only spriting check out Pyxeledit @ http://pyxeledit.com/ , for something with a little bit more power Gimp @ www.gimp.org/ or as aodendaal said Paint.net.

Btw didn't know about Paint.net thanks for the info aodendaal :) it looks good - how does it stack up against Gimp for you?
  • Gimp has a lot more features and is very powerful if you're prepared to invest time in learning to use the tool. But every time I've attempted to use Gimp I've gotten myself lost and confused.

Paint.NET has a limited set of features but it's the "right" set that suits 80% of people's needs (especially if they're coming from MSPaint). The tools are also obvious, especially the selection tools which most people I introduce to Paint.NET are looking for, so they get productive very quickly.

Gimp is great but I feel it requires a greater investment in time to become proficient than Paint.NET
  • Several professional pixel artists I know swear by Graphics Gale, which has a shareware version that does everything the full one does except for having limited export options.

@LittleBear, Pyxeledit looks very interesting! :)
  • Wow, thanks for the help guys. I'm using Pyxeledit and it is amazing :D
  • Graphics Gale seems awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.
  • I used Graphics Gale for a while but I was looking for something with a bit more punch for my non paying cheap ass. :/
    @charly Glad you like the recommendation, would like to see what you made with it when your done :)
    @Elyaradine thanks found it by accident :P