Riftwalker || Sandbox Basebuilder for Android (and Others)

Greetings MGSA!

Wanted to share a little project we are working on. Riftwalker! As a gamer I've always felt most phone games lack the depth to feel like a "game". A lot of them were either just too simplified or a jumbled mess. Now me, I've always been a gamer and I wanted a phone game that I could play and be proud of.

Along came the idea of Riftwalker, a project within scope of myself which now with the addition of Facebook funding and a sponsorship of a team, that vision has grown into an incredible masterpiece in progress.

So Riftwalker is a strategic basebuilder that takes place after the events of the shattering - an event that shattered the very world, believed to be the end of the Old Order, the reigning theocracy of the time. The player controls an island that he/she can shape to their liking, this island drifts through the void. Decorating and building it to the player's liking, the player will need to obtain resources in order to flourish.

The player can only produce the resource of their own faction. In order to further develop their technology, build and expand on their base the player will need to raid or form trade routes with other players, guilds and alliances.

So we're almost ready, now it's just tying everything together - servers have been developed and so has the database. Leave your thoughts in the comment, would YOU play riftwalker?

Regards,
Dylan Engelbrecht
Director & Studio Manager, Deeplink Studios

Comments

• This looks really cool, and I love the art style!
    You mentioned it being a phone game, and then Facebook. Does Facebook have an appstore now? (sorry if this is a dumb question!)

To answer your question of whether I'd play it...I have no clue without a gameplay video.
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • @roguecode To my knowledge facebook now has a game/appstore

https://www.facebook.com/gameroom/
  • @Roguecode Facebook has a funding program for mobile startups, initially, we will support facebook (as well as google logins) and that will integrate with content sharing on Facebook.

At a later stage we plan to support the following:
    Facebook Web
    iOS
    Steam
    Augmented Reality
    Microsoft Hololens
    Windows Phone

Regarding the gameplay video we are hoping to have an early one available by either this weekend or next (you know how it goes with delays.)

Regards,
    Dylan Engelbrecht
    Director & Studio Manager, Deeplink Studios
  • Necromancer portal - In engine footage!

Feedback would be much appreciated :D we're so excited to bring you all this game.
  • edited
    Question: How can I add images to a spoilers box so it doesn't take up the whole page? Adding it in spoilers doesn't work.

========

So much fun XD... My team has done a great job with the island and basebuilding - we've got some minor bugs to fix before we release an early Testers build.

Once the test build is live, we'll finish up the save states - clear out more bugs and begin with the bases and resources :D

MAKING PROGRESS! :D

Gameplay Pics:

========
  • Hi @VoidFletcher, I like the look of this. You mentioned above that you'd be targeting other platforms, do you have a playable demo/prototype you can link to for feedback?

I like the idea of resources being limited per faction, forcing you to interact with other players. How will you get around an initial lack of other players? And how do the required resources limit the player-ie what's the incentive to the player for that interaction? Also, how are you balancing that with the threat of hostility from players early on that already have sources of the other factions' resources?
  • edited
    Hi @Mattbenic thanks for the interest!

There is a lot to cover and a lot of these features will only come at a later stage as we're focusing on what is within our capabilities at present. Also note that some of these things will be tweaked for balancing as we test them.

Regarding early on lack of users - we will be having NPC bases spawn of the different factions to supply an early amount of resources. For endgame there will be PvE areas called Derelict Sites, ruins of the old order. They are rare spawns which contain research notes for skill trees (I'll get to that in a bit.)

In order to keep things balanced, we've done away with "levels" in the traditional sense, instead the user will be able to upgrade their portal, depending on a portal's capacity, it limits the outgoing "payload", be it troops or resources. This also means that if your portal is a low level and has a low capacity, someone with a huge army won't be able to fit that army through, only a few troops.

All buildings in the game - as well as units later on - will have skill trees which change the way they work. For example, a Techmaturge has a turret at level 1 - it automatically gains a unique tech passive. When the player wants to upgrade it, they will have three choices. Spend blood (necromancer) to increase it's damage, spend mainly truesilver (techmaturge) with a small amount of the other resources to say increase it's HP, or spend Soulstone (Dryad) to increase it's rate of fire. At higher levels, an upgrade will require that specific research note which the player will need to find a derelict site or buy it from another player for Recognition.

Recognition is a fourth resource that everyone has, it is earned (stolen) from enemies including npc bases in small amounts. It can also be purchased for real money. Depending on how much recognition you have, it places you on the leaderboards. People at the top of the leaderboards at certain intervals will receive rewards. For the more casual players, recognition can be spent on decorative items and effects.

My goal is together with my team, create a game that is simple enough for the casual player to be able to enjoy - but deep enough to challenge even the most hardcore of gamers.

EDIT: Regarding playable demos. We will have an early playable proof-of-concept of the island and base building in a few days. Once that's working nicely, we will turn on the save states and force logins to our server and begin testing. So far our server is brilliantly designed, we did an initial stress test simulation of 33,000 online players and didn't peak 2% on our main server. After that you can expect to see a live release, once we have all the systems in place we will begin the port to iOS and PC. At a laaater stage we also want to have a Hololens build available :) .
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • I will be following. :)