[unpaid] Already playable online fantasy rpg. Looking for moddeler.

Hi.

The games name is Ash Dawn

We've finally gotten it to the point were the gameplay is mostly complete and we have a running server for anyone to log in and play. We are currently a team of 2 and we've been working on this game for the last 4 years.

indiedb page: indiedb.com/games/ashdawn
gamedev.net journal: gamedev.net/blog/807-wilhelms-journal/

Feel free to try it out. You can download it from the website (ashdawn.net)

Most of the models currently in the game are placeholders. We are at the point were we would like one or two skilled modelers to start redoing the placeholders and then after that start creating new models for new areas.

At this point we would firstly like to focus on the player model including various armour/weapons and secondly on static terrain objects (houses, trees, rocks etc).

You'l notice that its a cell shaded game with a "anime"ish look. Ive found a couple of cell shaded games which style I really like but unfortunately the characters are usually very child like whereas I want more adult looking characters. After google image searching for long enough I found a game that has a character art style that's more or less what I'm looking for. Its Fire Emblem. Here's one nice gif image I found that shows some of the characters. This can be used as a starting point discussing character art style. Its not set in stone.

The game itself is free. We are planning on doing microtransaction and we already have one functional item that you can buy ingame as a test but making money really isn't the aim here. As such I cant promise any payment. If this were to turn into a commercial success then of course we will be fair but that should not be the reason you join us.

Since the game is already live any models that you make or change can be patched into the game quickly and we can add your name to the credits as soon as you start contributing.

Let me know if you're interested and we can work out the details or feel free to ask any other questions in this thread.

Comments

• Hi @Wilhelm, it looks like a large amount of work has already gone into this project. And well done on getting a server running for the game, that's no small feat.

I watched the first couple of videos on Indie.db to get a better idea of what the game is about and also see some gameplay. I just have a question regarding your request for a skilled 3D artist to join your team, specifically with regards to the following comment you made above:
    Wilhelm said:
    but making money really isn't the aim here. As such I cant promise any payment. If this were to turn into a commercial success then of course we will be fair but that should not be the reason you join us.
    I'm mainly asking for myself, but if an artist is to spend weeks (but more likely months or years) creating characters and assets for your project with no guaranteed payment, what would be the reason they decide to invest in your project?

If it is commercial success, then I ask myself: "MMORPGs is the genre with the biggest scope of any gaming project by far, it is a real risk that the project might never get finished." So success is by no means guaranteed. My hard work might end up in a game that never gets released (And this has happened to me before, 8 months worth of work that noone will ever see).

So what I'm asking is, how are you enticing prospective artists? What is the reward for contributing to your game?
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • Hi Pieter.

You are right in that spending time on a "hobby" or "profit sharing" project is extremely likely to result in a lot of time wasted. I can however offer 1 thing that most other groups undertaking ambitious projects cant.

The game is currently in a fully playable alpha state with a working patching mechanism. You wont have to work for months (or years) before you're work becomes visible in the game. We do a patch every two or three weeks with all the new additions. So i can give reasonable assurance that what you create for us will quickly become visible in the live game and you will get credit.

I am also committed to keep the server running pretty much indefinitely.

I have no minimum amount of money I need to make from this to keep it viable. That said compared to most other "profit sharing" indie groups I do believe we have a good chance of actually making money. I just don't want to create any expectations. Most other posts recruiting for their "Pie in the Sky" idea would just state "We will share all profits from the sales" as if its a given. I could do the same but I'd rather not.
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • Hi Wilhelm

I just checked out your website and I think your game has got great potential.

You mentioned that you were looking for a modeller to create Fire Emblem-like character assets for your game. I would love to be involved, however, I am still in the process of learning 3D modelling fully (although I feel pretty good in making character models).

I'll reference anyone I find who can help you to this discussion, because I feel you deserve the chance to finish your game.

Until then, best of luck to you!
  • Hi Farai

Thank you for you're interest.

If you want to try you're hand at it I'd be happy to have you. I don't mind trial and error and I'l gladly try and help you with the technical details of 3D modeling (Just not with the actual modelling as I'm a terrible artist).

Of course it will probably take you longer to produce the first usable model for our game but that doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you. Our development continues whether were using placeholders or not but I very much look forward to having some higher quality models ingame.
  • Hi Wilhelm . I would like to help, if my art style is suitable. you can check out some of my works here. ( Im just trying to get more varied experience )

www.super-kulu.tumblr.com
  • Hi Kulu

I Really like you're work. I've sent you a more detailed response in a message.

Look forward to hearing from you.
  • FaraiV1 said:
    Hi Wilhelm

you were looking for a modeller to create Fire Emblem-like character assets for your game. I
    *Yandere Simulator
  • I could help out also , my portfolio
    http://joncipriano.daportfolio.com/gallery/510207

been in the industry for 11yrs
    chungking2339@gmail.com
  • FaraiV1 said:

I would love to be involved, however, I am still in the process of learning 3D modelling fully (although I feel pretty good in making character models).
    FaraiV1= If you need any help to learn any tip for unwrapping, modeling, software help, shoot me a line i can help you out if need a hand on learning.
    chungking2339@gmail.com
  • Wow chungking2339 . nice stuff . I think your skills would be great for this game
  • edited
    Hi chungking

It would be great to have you help out. We are in the process of finalizing the character models but we have a need for static objects (buildings, trees, rocks, furniture) etc that can be started on immediately. After that there is still a lot of monster models, armour and other things that will need modeling,

Il send you a message with more info.
  • @chungking2339, thanks a lot! I would appreciate the help very much. Looking forward to learning from you!