[Project] Superior Wizards and Witches - Competitive Fighting/Adventure game

edited in Projects
Ladies, Men, Witches, Wizards,

Superior Witches and Wizards is an adventure combat game that I have been working on bit by bit for two years.

I am looking for feedback. I'm also looking for people to join me, to work with me, to help me with their creative influences and to help me make this game real and worthy of being played by many.

Please try it out here:
plenopterix.com

I especially recommend that you go into the house, through the blue portal and play against a friend. I've noticed that people have a lot of fun fighting each other. This has a lot of potential, maybe even as an online game. You can also play against an AI wizard through the red portal.

Thanks a lot for checking this out,
Joel
sw5.png
1024 x 574 - 15K
sw1.gif
752 x 360 - 363K

Comments

• Hey

Just played by myself for a couple of minutes and had a blast!
    I'll try to think of some cool things to add when I get chance. I loved the casting mechanic, it's looks awesome, and it adds some depth as you have to remember what combo gives what.

I casted 2 spells that I don't know the combo of but managed to cast quite regularly. The one spawns a wall the other a minion of sorts. What are the combos for those and how many spells can you cast atm?

All in all good job so far I really see it being a fun game to play vs a friend.
    Also seems like a game that streamers/Youtubers for example can play for fun, as I've seen CSGO/Dota streamers play games like Lethal League against each other between matches and people loving it.
    I believe because it is simple enough on the surface but deep enough to offer a good competitive showing.
  • @vince

So those spells you casted are the wall: Down, Left, Up, Right, Down
    and the summon: Up, Down, Up, Down, Up
    It's funny that you found these by accident. They're experimental. There are nine spells in the game at the moment but most of them are experimental. If you go up to the spell book in the house, you can find out how to cast water!

Thanks a lot for your insights, they've made me realise that maybe this game ought to be a fighting game so I'm going to tailor it more towards combat!
  • Had a try, has a lot of potential :)
    Yes, would be cool to play 4 players on the same screen. Reminded me of a real time version of chaos, the old ZX spectrum game, mixed with Mortal Kombat finishing moves :)
    Its a pity the game needs 8 keys, would be fun to play on the same keyboard with another friend, but maybe controllers would fix that :P But i also see the need for 8 keys.
  • @iceblademush

You can actually play on the same keyboard with a friend! The keys are strange since I needed to give each player enough space, but you totally can. I will add controller support soon too and then there can be 4 players at the same time :) Also this game might work on the Nintendo switch that was just released, so I'm going to get controller support working as soon as possible.

Thanks for playing,

Joel
  • Hey just a bug (possibly) the wall spell's blocks get pushed by the edges of the screen. To replicate spawn a wall and then run away from it and the edge pushes/squishes your wall as you run.
  • I found the exact same spells as @Vince (The wall and the minion, who attacks you if nobody else is around). Those spells are clearly the easiest to discover.

I really like the idea of having a lot of spells at my disposal. Though I haven't tried playing against another person yet to see what strategies arise.

The bit of story telling at the beginning is pretty good. I sort of hoped there'd be more whispering snake altars to walk through and receive spells from.

Apart from the susurrating snake sounds, the sound effects in Superior Wizards are some of the weaker elements. Is the 8bit sound palette something you're going to be keeping?

There isn't currently much there for a single player experience. I'm not sure that this is what you're focusing on though?
  • @vince

You're right about that bug. I'll fix it soon.

@EvanGreenwood

Fighting with another person is where the game is the funnest, which is why I focused on that more than the singleplayer. The singleplayer experience is something I would really like to have, but I've been struggling with finding a fun sort of gameplay that uses spells and doesn't get tiring.

I'm really glad you liked the storytelling and the altar! I'd like to add more of these sorts of things to the singleplayer game if people enjoy it.

I don't have to keep the 8bit sounds. If you and others think those sounds are a weak point, I'll reinforce the game with better sounds.

@vince & @EvanGreenwood

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'm going to make the minion spell a bit harder to find, but maybe keep the wall spell as it is.
  • edited
    Here's a recent gameplay video:

• edited
    Congrats! "A Shinning Gem!" The winner of the 500th game search! Exciting news!