Valve Steam Box is a reality

edited in General
Well it seems that Valve is in full throttle with making a console. The "Steam Box" is tiny, it basically fits in the palm of your hand. Valve has made a huge investment into a company called Xi3. The company creates small computers.

I think it's pretty awesome but I'll still stick to good old PC gaming. Do you guys/gals think that this could bridge the gap between Console and PC gaming? Or this could effectively rule out Windows as the main PC gaming OS?

Comments

• Depends on the power in there, if it's up-to-date and runs everything Steam throws at it without a problem, I don't see why the hell not. If it's a watered down old PC spec that can only play indie games (not that there's anything wrong with indie games, of course), then I'll stick to my PC, which is already an old spec PC that can only play indie games :P
  • It's a pretty powerful machine. It seems that it'll run Linux and will be able to run current generation games and next gen games.
  • I really want one of these. It just makes more sense to have a basic computer to do my work and a machine that doesn't need constant upgrading to play games on.
  • looks badass, looks super portable too :D
  • Don't know if you've all read this but here's an update on what you can expect spec wise and price wise for the Steambox: http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/steam-machine-specs-and-prices-revealed/

Landman
  • edited
    Steam Machine(s) is the name they went with. "Steambox" was only ever a name that existed in speculative fandom.

Anyhoo, so far they range from under $500 to one that's around $6000. The Alienware one looks like the best contender so far - but no prices yet, although they promise that it will be competitive with current gen consoles.

And funnily the Xi3 Piston is nowhere in sight. A good thing too - it would just confuse the market since it's so far removed from what the Valve hardware reference wants to be. Biggest gripe being that it's only "modular" with Xi3's own proprietary components. The Steam Machines release should all allow you to rip out and replace parts.

I'm more interested in game announcements at this point though. I know that Total War: Rome II and XCOM: Enemy Unknown will soon be upon us, but I wonder what other major new titles we'll be seeing.