Yeah, this seems totally reasonable...

edited in General
http://launch2.universeprojects.com

I mean, why hasn't it been made already? People are just lazy. Obvs.

Comments

• I personally am not convinced, how could we come up with the technology in the game for such epic space travel if we cant in the real world?

*tongue in cheek*

It would be cool, though I too had (have) dreams of one day building a game along these lines, though not so much having to go through the ages, more having a freeform style of play in an existing universe. (Like Sword Art Online for instance, the Seed, not the pre-existing worlds)
  • edited
    Is this a spoof or are they serious? I mean, Poe's law. I really can't tell.

If this is real, the only certainty I see is that when they Kickstart it, and they succeed, this will forever be the game project that critics of Kickstarter point to and say: "See, I told you Kickstarter is a fickle system bursting at its virtual seams with broken promises and unctuous money snatchers".

If it is a joke, then I'm amazed at how the narrator managed to sound so serious. LOL. And good on them.

• Well, they have the skills to win at Kickstarter, that's for sure. Between them motion graphics and that narrator, people will be throwing money at them. Maybe they had to pick something totally unachievable in order to have a get-out clause after all that money?
  • The doodles seem placeholdery in contrast with the narration and the motion graphics editing well-doneness. It's like... The matrix. Or the MMO to end MMOs. Or Second Life The Third.

It would be sad if this was a scam, if this were serious, or it fails.

I don't see how it could possibly be achieved though... Maybe if Google built it.
  • Can I just say that even if this is a scam/doomed to fail project...it still sounds pretty awesome O_O

It would really suck if it was a scam though...I intensly disklike people stealing from other people.
  • Seems to be a serious project. Good luck to them! GOTY 2042 for sure
  • So, I'm curious - what makes this idea sound awesome?

Personally it sounds like a really bad game... No NPCs? If every character in the game is a person, then why would you go to a town to sell anything? Some dude would have to stand his character behind a counter and run a shop. For fun?

Why would anyone want a game world that was so huge, and then terminally under-populate it? Even if you had WoW numbers, 12 million people on a planet aren't going to fill it up. Not even almost, and it only gets worse as your player numbers go down... There's a reason games compress people into areas that's not simply technical. Minecraft already has the sort of abandoned world exploration feeling going on (which is about the only fun I can see this game producing), you don't need a huge MMO to make that happen.

I feel like it's often the constraints in a game that make it fun, trying to remove "all" constraints ends up with nothing being interesting at all. Even the sandbox games have constraints to drive gameplay: In GTA you simply can't be a nice human being, it's impossible. The constraint is that you never have any other option than crime and that's what makes the sandbox navigable without being overwhelmingly bland.
  • @dislekcia, The thing that sounds awesome to me is the freedom and the working together towards a common goal. But it's probably just feeding some notion of an ideal world where everyone works together and only do good things. I guess the idea I have in my head about how this would feel is what is awesome, as an actual "game" this would probably suck. If you give people too many choices they usually decide to do nothing.

But it's weird, the video got me excited because everytime they suggested some game play mechanic I thought "HEY! it's just like real life....so maybe I should just go out and do that stuff!". So maybe this is a really weird intro to some kind of Augmented reality game they are planning :P
  • I think the major problem is we play games to "avoid" life, a game that simulates life completely isn't going to be fun.
  • edited
    @Edg3 ...not that I think this game in its proposed state is doable, nor do I have confidence in the team planning on doing it, if they even actually do intend doing it...

...But a game which simulates life, but is much easier than life, would be incredibly compelling. The Sims wasn't a failure, and that had child rearing and going to the toilet in it.
  • However that wasnt real time, The Sims wouldnt have been as popular if it was played in real time like they imply their game will be
  • Well, this proposal is like The Matrix, and there are plenty of people who would like to be in the Matrix (heck I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, developing superpowers and all). That goes hand in hand with "it's like real life but much easier" thing.

Sims, Second Life, many MMOs, etc, all kinda live on that premise. Go do stuff, because it's easier to do stuff by clicking than by doing stuff by actually climbing actual lava-drenched mountains.

I totally agree though that if they were to really completely duplicate earth and populate it with people who are willing to be in it alone we'd be quite alone. However if we could all build giant robots size of continents and battle them it'll sort out the under-crowding. Or create giant robot armies and hunt other players. What other people want to do is up to them, grow a rainforest. Or grow giant mutated rabbits. Dunno.

I'm pretty sure all that schpiel about an underpopulated live size world and whatever isn't what people hear when they hear the pitch, it's that OOOH YOU CAN DO ANYTHING and IT'S MASSIVE.

Seems like a giant badly thought out pitch. Oh wait.
  • edited
    @edg3 Realtime, like it'd take thousands of years in actual time to evolve from stone tools to iron tools to industrial age etc? (I assumed from the video that'd it'd be dramatically sped up... kind of minecrafty)
  • The thing about the Matrix, the thing that made the Matrix fun, is trying to get out of the matrix, not sitting around in it looking at each other. This game doesn't have that, and can never have that.
  • The thing that made matrix fun was all the leather :P
    Thanked by 3Karuji hanli Bensonance
  • Also, the Matrix was fun for like 5 people who had a different set of constraints to their interaction - break rules of physics, time constrained activity due to agents. All the other "players" were having a pretty mediocre experience at best. That doesn't really work as a compelling game design ;)

See, everyone thinks about being Neo, but doesn't notice when a concept is actually offering you the ability to be Man With Phone #3.
  • Yeah I agree. Noone wants to be Man With Phone #3, but Man With Phone #3 didn't know he was in a game. If I knew I was in a game I'd be one of the 100000 Neos.

Which would make me Flying Man With Shades #12334. Sounds like another MMO. I dislike MMOs.
  • All those other people were NPC's :P
  • All those other people were NPC's :P
    Except that this pitch mentioned that every in-game character was a player. Which means no NPCs... It's also what @Tuism was talking about: If everyone's special, then nobody's special.

I'm still honestly curious as to what makes this game idea so compelling to many people: So far the best explanation I have is that it's vague enough for people to impose their own enjoyment criteria on the game they imagine, which then becomes a reflection of whatever their fantasy of empowerment might be. I think the only way to get people to see your game this way is to never mention any kind of constraint at all, which can only really create dissatisfaction when the final thing eventually comes out - See what happened with Spore.
  • @dislikcia...you did see the :P right?

I think people find the game idea compelling because the pitch video is a really good pitch video. It's basically saying play the game you've always wanted. Which I really want to do...I want to play the perfect game. Whether this game can ever be that or even a working product is something else entirely. The video doesn't say that there will be no constraints. It actually says that at the very least it will have all the constraints this world has because it's a world modeled after our own. But it in the end it's still a marketing video. I don't think there are any game trailer videos that mention the constraints in the way you seem to want this one to do(but that could just be my ignorance).

Also, anyone else noticed how Neo never wears leather?
  • I think @dislekcia definitely make good points, but those points appeal only to the logical, worked-it-out-all-the-way-to-the-end brain. The emotional brain hears things like "do anything you want", "massive", "gigantic", "like real life but better", "you can be you but fly spaceships and blow friends up" and the cool music and cool production takes over an makes people go ooooooh.

I don't think any serious dev house would seriously do something like this seriously, but just as people who aren't entrepreneurs think everyone should just start their own business for fun, people who buy into this stuff aren't us. At all.

I didn't really think about what kind of black anyone in the Matrix wore. They just all wore black :)
  • @Tuism, I'm not disagreeing with @dislekcia about it being a bad game(probably) if there were no constraints. I'm trying to explain why I, and probably other players, would find it compelling. Or that is at least what I'm trying to do. Not sure if I'm succeeding though...

OFF TOPIC : I watch movies OCD mode...I also hate that the main characters of barnyard are male cows....I really hate that...
  • @Rigormortis: Actually, now that I think about it, you're right. The game definitely has constraints, it's just that the constraints communicated in the video are the ones the designers placed on themselves, not the constraints that the player will experience... Also, it's not like constraints are really communicated to players in a negative "You can't do this" sort of way in most games, it takes a mental shuffle to see the types of constraints I was talking about in GTA, for example. Maybe it's a poor choice of word on my part, but I'm trying to talk about the sort of gameplay that a game's concept informs.

@Tuism: That's why I'm curious about the kinds of things people imagine when they hear about this game. To me it instantly sounds bad, just like the idea of a gun that can shoot through walls with insane damage and a super-fast refire rate sounds like a horrible idea in a CoD game. But to a lot of players, that sounds like something they'd totally want - it's only when they've modded that into the game and someone else wields it against them that it feels unfair or broken. I find that kind of context switch from emotional "Wouldn't that be COOOL!" to a slightly more holistic one really interesting. When does that happen and how do people learn to do it? It's a core skill for good game designers, as far as I'm concerned.
  • @dislekcia totally takes a good designer to see that constraints are good. I look at Thunderstone and reject Glamercast/Royal Summons. Doesn't stop me from using them if people REALLY want to put them in a game, but when it gets to that stage I pretty much get bored of it, so does everyone else playing.

But the point when people discover it, it's like OOOOOH POWER.

Another example: Magic. Power creep. Players are always chasing that next OMGIMUSTHAVEITINMYDECK rare. But when it saturates, another pile of OMGetc cards are needed to keep people interested. Then it continues. I quit that merri-go-round a long time ago, but many people still love it.

So people aren't designers and don't care for broken. They enjoy getting what seems broken because it'll make them UBER. Till everyone else is uber. Of course WE RECOGNISE THIS. And we also recognise the commercial opportunity that is in monetising broken things. And while some of us reject it, some of us make MMOs and Magic and embrace it.
  • @Tuism, I would even go as far as saying that constraints(rules) aren't only good, they are necessary for something to be a game. But I see what you're saying and agree, good designers have to know how to use constraints. I recently heard someone say that players don't know what's good for them. If you placed a green WIN button at the start of any game the players will always press it instead of reward themselves with the experience of playing the game :P

@dislekcia, Do you mean that because they say it's an MMO that the player will infer some constraints(because of past experience), but that those constraints will not be present because the designers specifically took them out to make the game the "best ever"? Is that what you're trying to get at? Otherwise I'm not sure what you we're talking about...