Press Releases...

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have a good list of possible PR Services or even have contacts in the Press area that I can send a Press Release too.

Maybe you can also share some of your experiences with Steam Greenlight and sneding out Press Releases.

Thanks

Comments

• From my limited experience (2 greenlit titles and 1 release), the Greenlight press reaction is underwhelming, as in nearly non-existent, but once you set a release date for the game on Steam everything changes and you will be swarmed for press keys.

There are a few places that have a pretty good response to Greenlight announcement that I'm aware of, IndieDB has a decent user-base and you can get reasonable traffic from them. Also there are a few groups on Twitter that support indie developers, check out #indiegame, #indiedev and #gamedev tags.

Maybe somebody more experienced can give you a better pointer, I'm basically a sole developer with no budget.
    Thanked by 1quintond
  • @critic: Thanks for the insight.

Our IndieDB presence is pretty strong with us maintaining a number above 25 for 2 days now ... so we are getting good traffic coming through, There just seem to be those lulls in traffic where nothing happens, then a press release gets publicized and you have another influx of votes ... very strange to watch the ebb and flow.

Thanks for the tags, I will fire off a little Tweet now and include them ... see what happens.

My team and I are also learning the whole process and we are trying not to flood everyone in one fell swoop ... which is hard.
    Thanked by 1critic
  • We used CosmoCover for Broforce (through Devolver). I have no idea how expensive they are, but they're good and they're excellent people. http://www.cosmocover.com/

You'd have to determine whether going with a large PR agency is right for your game though... It worked out for us for Broforce, but it also could have been a large expense if the game hadn't sold as well as it did.
    Thanked by 1quintond
  • edited
    @EvanGreenwood: Thanks for the info. 8-}

Kind of begs the question, did the PR increase the sales or where the sales there regardless.
  • So what have I learnt so far:

1). Use a tiny url generator for your Steam Greenlight URL ... the press feed that GamaSutra uses managed to break our Steam Greenlight URL and I don't know if it cost us any votes.

2). A lot of Press Release companies who charge you, have a trial account and offer you one free press release, these are legimitate press releases and they definitely help.

3). Treating the trolls on Steam with respect and trying to find out what they don't like about the game or whether they don't understand something works better than feeding them or trying to take them on. I have only deleted three comments on Steam Greenlight and they were all spam for other projects.

4). YouTube is your friend and we have already had three YouTubers play the game, this has given us some traction because they have highlighted things that we can fix but also allow people to see the game before they vote. I have made sure to announce these videos as they come out and also comment on the YouTubers page to thank them for the video.

We are not greenlit yet and are only about half-way there, but I think with more PR and continued awareness, we should make it. The main problem we have is everyone thinking this is like trials ... I personally never played it so I have no idea ... this is something we need to try and overcome and show people that it is not like trials.

I am hoping that the Tutorial we uploaded where @karl182 goes through everything and shows that it is not like trials will help ... only time will tell.

Marketing and PR ... no wonder there are degrees in this stuff ... it is mind boggling sometimes. 8-}
    Thanked by 2roguecode karl182