FPB cease and desist letters

Hi guys,

The Films and Publications board has started issuing cease and desist letters to local Developers. If you get one email me immediately T nicholas@michalsons.com

Comments

• That doesn't sound good, can you give us more information?
  • edited
    Oh dear. Thanks.

Could you elaborate? For what, exactly?
  • In terms of the FPB act any person who sells a game or "distributes" it in SA needs to register with the FPB and have all their games classified before making it available. Further advertising of the game should include the the rating. The devs in question have been sent a cease and desist because the games they have made , which they display on their site but not sell, dont have the FPB rating and they aren't registered with the FPB
    Thanked by 1critic
  • If I may ask, when was this act put into action, and does it affect independant game developers? Because this is the first I have ever heard of this.

I did research earlier on game dev requirements , but I have never run into this act and its requirements, but maybe its because I was looking up copyright laws in connection with indie games.

Can I ask , what is required to register with the FBP? How long does it take to complete the rating process , and are there fees that are part of this FBP registration.

Im asking because I know there are fees if you want to register a film for copyright protect in SA.
  • What is the definition of "selling a game" or "distributes t in SA? That's a really important one to know in this context.
  • I found this article to be a good read regarding the subject, seems the act is a blanket solution that can be used to censor anything on the internet.

http://www.r2k.org.za/2015/03/10/statement-stop-the-film-and-publications-boards-attempt-to-censor-the-internet/
  • Terrible, terrible, terrible. We need to fight this. It's wholly unconstitutional.
    Thanked by 1MattMac
  • Thanks for the heads up Nick! Haven't gotten any messages yet.

Does this mean we should start looking at removing our games from sale in SA, on the storefronts we distribute from?
  • It is because of this that I do not sell my game in South Africa.
  • Thanks for the heads up Nick! Haven't gotten any messages yet.

Does this mean we should start looking at removing our games from sale in SA, on the storefronts we distribute from?
    You might have to. If your game is seen it will be bad for the companies selling it and also for you (or your company). Like Nancy said - because of this dont sell your game in SA unless you do all you need to for making it a sale here.

• I'm a bit out of the loop here, sorry; has this law already been passed? If not, how does that give them grounds to send these letters in the first place?
    Did they just decide to make it law, and then see what the fallout will be like afterwards?
  • @Krummelz they are sending the cease and desist in terms of the original FPB Act, which has been law since 1996. The amendment bill, which increases their powers isn't law yet
  • What is the process and costs involved in registration with the FSB if you're an indie? Don't advocate what they're doing here - especially for a self funded indie :'(
  • Registration as a distributor cost R1500. Then to have a game classified it costs about R1890.00 per game, per platform. So if you release the same game on three different platforms (android, iOS and PC say) You would need to have the same game classified three times
    Thanked by 1CuCl3
  • Registration as a distributor cost R1500. Then to have a game classified it costs about R1890.00 per game, per platform. So if you release the same game on three different platforms (android, iOS and PC say) You would need to have the same game classified three times
    That is more money than I sometimes hope to make