Zip-Zap-ZOOM!

edited in Projects
Hey Guys!! :)

It's been a while since I've been on here, most of you would remember me as that kid trying to make a 2-Dimensional Skyrim from 2014's or last year's conference but, I've shifted my niche to something a but more "fun".

I developed a nice twitch game and it's currently up on Google Play Store (I will have iOS and Windows Phone versions out soon), give it a try.

Your feedback is always welcome, thanks in advance :)

(Comment and rate on the store too if it's not a bother)

THE UPDATE IS UP NOW! :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.epiloguestudios.z3&hl=en
Thanked by 1tbulford

Comments

• Hellooo :)

I don't Android so I can't try the game :/

First impressions though:

If the game is called "zip zap zoom", then why are the buttons "zip zoom zap"? With reactionary games, it's important to make the seeing-to-doing translation process as intuitive as possible. So for example on PS3 games, when a twitch component requires you to press the square button, often I have to think about where the square button is before I can press it. That makes the challenge more thinking about where the button is instead of just pressing it. Some games show the square button on the left side of the screen, for example, which makes the decode to press easier, so I don't have to care about "square", just press left. Left is a much more ingrained, nature and intuitive communication than square button.

Another example is guitar hero. Instead of just giving the player the colour buttons in a sequence, the sequence is placed left to right corresponding to the chord space/button space, which makes reading the shape more intuitive than reading a bunch of colours. It would be much harder if they didn't give you that shape, but that shape makes the game for more satisfying and fun to master.

So the translation process from seeing your word, to pressing the button on the screen is less intuitive, which I believe is less interesting because it's a translation challenge rather than a reaction challenge.
  • I appreciate the feedback :)

If you get the chance to play it though, you'll understand what happens while you play :)
  • So I played this a bit. It's pretty well polished for what it is. It was kinda interesting, and the way the buttons shift around was a little unexpected. That said, I think you could communicate the button shifting better, perhaps by tweening the change of state (maybe show the buttons quickly swap positions like they're being shuffled). I thought the 3-letter highscore system seemed a little pointless (as far as I can tell it doesn't connect online), I wasn't really incentivized to try beat my score (I got 48 on my 3rd/4th try), and it was annoying to have to click up/down so many times to select my initials.

Beyond that I don't have all that much feedback. As I said though, it was a pretty polished experience albeit limited in scope. The game is very much focused on a "how quickly can you react" mechanic with fairly little visceral feedback, so I personally didn't really find it all that fun. What was your goal with this? Do you plan on working on it more? What sort of feedback are you looking for?
  • @francoisvn I plan on working on it more, but thank you for your feedback.

The reasoning behind the limited audio and visceral feedback is due to experimentation with how the player interacts with the game on a basic level.

When it comes to the type of feedback, you're pretty spot on. :)

I am working on an update that will come in the week(s) to follow. I get your disinterest in the game, as without additives such as leaderboards or achievements which gives the player a sense of addiction and progress to work towards some players might find the game boring.

This game is more or less for those who have a high interest in twitch games, but that was version 1.0. Version 2.5 will have those visceral and audio feedback most players will love to see and hear alongside the gameplay mechanics. :)
  • Cool cool. Don't take my disinterest as a very strong indicator, this isn't the typical type of game I generally play.

Also don't be afraid to try take what you've learnt and apply it to new games. Just some thoughts: Can you make a mashup with twitch controls and "choose your own adventure"? Twitch games usually invoke a sense of excitement/panic and sometimes accomplishment; can you make a twitch game that evokes some other emotion like curiosity or longing?
  • Indeed... This is my very first twitch game... I want to and will experiment further in the future...But like any mum always says... "Finish what you start!" :)
  • Hey so I wanted to try play this, but I just get a

"Sorry! This content is not available in your country yet.
    We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible.
    Please check back again soon."
    error message? :)
  • Sorry, the link got updated... try now. :)