IESA Industry Survey 2016

Hi All,

I'm continuing the Industry Survey I did while with Make Games.

If you are a:

> Studio
> Independant Contractor, or
> Hobbyist

Working in the Games, Serious Games, VR, Simulation or AR industries, please fill it in:

http://goo.gl/forms/g31jH022LZ

Please don't fill in the survey if you are a full time employee at a studio, but please ask that studio to fill it in.

Thanks

Comments

• What should people do if they see themselves as both part of studio and a hobbyist? I've assumed that we should rather fill in the survey from the perspective of the former, more commercial, side, but maybe you want both?
  • For next year's survey: we also employed an external (script) writer ;)

Also, we're assuming that games we "shipped" to another company are not games we "shipped" and so are only inputting games we actually put out ourselves as the answer to that question.
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • dammit said:
    Also, we're assuming that games we "shipped" to another company are not games we "shipped" and so are only inputting games we actually put out ourselves as the answer to that question.
    I would classify those as one and the same. It doesn't specifically ask for Owned IP shipped, so whether you complete a project internally or someone else, shipped is shipped.

Thanked by 1garethf
  • @AngryMoose - I just worry about the final numbers being bloated by multiple companies claimed to ship the same titles :P
    Thanked by 1AngryMoose
  • Done! Thanks for running the survey and asking important questions that I needed to ask myself, now I know a bit more about "my business" :)
  • There appears to be an error on the form.

Under Shareholding / Ownership. when I enter 0% in relevant parts, it tells me that number must be greater than zero, that does not seem right?
  • I was able to just leave all the N/A ones blank and put in other values adding up to 100% just fine.
  • @Shane is like @AngryMoose said, but I've fixed the data validation as well
  • edited
    Like @dammit mentioned about RetroEpic, Free Lives is also likely going to be working one, or maybe two, writers before this financial year ends. Exciting days!!!!
    Thanked by 2garethf shanemarks
  • In the section about revenue, I feel like the answers are going to be slightly skewed. My answer was that we made zero moneys (and made a loss). But that isn't because our game isn't selling, it is because we haven't shipped the game.
    So when you are building a report on the [money] answers, maybe separate the people that did ship a game, and didn't.
  • edited
    I don't see a problem with that personally. It just means that you'll (hopefully!) post a profit with next years figures :) Invest in this FY to make profit in the next FY :)
  • When are the results being released?
  • Also, is it possible to run a survey of salaries? Maybe just the averages so that everyone can get a better idea of pay in our industry without revealing anyone's private information.
  • Salary surveys are traditionally not done by industry bodies (i.e. Not by companies disclosing that information) but instead by user groups (i.e. Individual employees putting their data forward anonymously).

So while I'm not sure if this is something that IESA should be heading, there should be nothing stopping MGSA from conducting that kind of survey, similar to what Gamasutra does :)
    Thanked by 2Karuji dammit
  • Results will be released end of July. Re: Salary survey, it's something I've been wanting to do, just got so many other things on the boil at the moment, and it is not high on my priority list I'm afraid :(
    Thanked by 2francoisvn dammit
  • Salary surveys are traditionally not done by industry bodies (i.e. Not by companies disclosing that information) but instead by user groups (i.e. Individual employees putting their data forward anonymously).

So while I'm not sure if this is something that IESA should be heading, there should be nothing stopping MGSA from conducting that kind of survey, similar to what Gamasutra does :)
    I suppose it's a matter of who will hold that private information. I'd prefer it if Nic did, rather than any forumite
    Thanked by 1LexAquillia