Echoplex 回音倒影 | Cyberhorror Puzzle Game

Comments

• edited
    Saw your game on the main page of the unity website a couple days back

this is looking amazing !
    well done :D
  • Hey @moonpanda thanks a lot. I wasn't aware we were on the unity site - do you have a link?
  • it is currently here now on https://madewith.unity.com/

but a couple days ago it was right at the top of the page
  • edited
    For #screenshotsaturday, I wanted to share work-in-progress on our cut scene "memory fragments". We filmed plates of different friends eating at the same table, then Ronnie and his team turned it into a packed Clonochem canteen.

Most importantly, my bald head is visible (twice) in the background - famous at last... ;D

We're experimenting with introducing soft areas of colour (like the yellow above) into our live action sequences.

These colours reflect the palette in the levels, and will be used to signify different story threads. #screenshotsaturday
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • edited
    ECHOPLEX Early Access release date confirmed

We’ve been hard at work making the ECHOPLEX Early Access release and we can’t wait to show you guys...

The release is planned for 30 March 2017

Here is a short video where I talk about the 3 main things that will be new in the Early Access release…

Read more about the Early Access development

Thanks again to everyone who has been part of the process so far - your feedback and ideas have been hugely helpful in getting ECHOPLEX on the right track.

- Ty
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood
  • edited
    #screenshotsaturday: Progress on lighting and colour in the ECHOPLEX

A comment we heard often during our Greenlight campaign was that the colours in the Echoplex are “hard to look at”. For the most part, people seem to like that the game has a different look, but we wanted to see how we could refine the colour and light while sticking to our original colour palette.

We also had to solve a lighting problem that would cause the corridors to become completely washed out when two light colours were combined, e.g. A yellow switch in a white corridor. When the colours were too strong, edges would also disappear into their background, making the dimensions of the space hard to see.

The screenshots you see here are the result or a few days of tweaking (and debating).

Main things we adjusted

1. The area lights are now on the floor, facing upwards. This gives the space an eerie underlit feel, and helps direct light away from the floor – which keeps the colour on the floor the strongest. Another bonus is that where there is a shaft or a drop, light falls off as you go higher, creating moody, shadowy areas.
    2. We added more texture to the walls, and grain to the image – this helped the light spread more evenly and smoothed out the banding we were getting with darker colours.
    3. We tweaked (and tweaked) the specific shades of the CMYK colours we are using in the environments. This means the floor should always be closest to the pure colour, while the walls are a lighter gradient, getting darker towards the ceiling.
    4. We made the emission and intensity of the switches dynamic, depending on what colour corridor they are in. This prevents yellow switches from washing out white corridors, and ensures magenta switches throw enough colour to be visible.

Things we are still working on

1. “Stitching” on filler panels – we changed the structure of the Echoplex walls, which meant we needed fillers for gaps. Right now these sometimes cause lines that look like stitching – we need to resolve this
    2. Area lights on filler panels – Currently filler panels on the floor do not have their own area lights – if you look at the edge of a shaft, you’ll see that there is no light coming from the floor just before the edge.
    3. Dynamic Echo emission – Currently the Echo has a standard emission for all corridor colours. When we get to polishing stage, we’ll hopefully make this dynamic so that there will be a greater range of light and shadow on him as he moves from a dark to light corridor.

As always, we’d love to know what you think…

Keep up to date with ECHOPLEX development - subscribe to the Output Games blog
  • typhvs said:
    For #screenshotsaturday, I wanted to share work-in-progress on our cut scene "memory fragments". We filmed plates of different friends eating at the same table, then Ronnie and his team turned it into a packed Clonochem canteen.

Most importantly, my bald head is visible (twice) in the background - famous at last... ;D

Over the holidays my wife and I watched all of the Star Wars movies, and I noticed this scene being pretty similar :)
    (From Attack Of The Clones)

starwars.JPG
    1978 x 832 - 129K
    Thanked by 1typhvs
  • edited
    @roguecode Brilliant! I guess once you've seen one clone canteen, you've seen them all... :D
    Thanked by 1roguecode
  • I want to see this short film thing.
  • joshken said:
    I want to see this short film thing.
    Hey @joshken, we're finalizing the live-action sequences over the next few weeks - so there should be more to show soon. It's actually 5 "short films", of around 15 seconds each, that the player will assemble from memory fragments as they complete levels.

• typhvs said:

Hey @joshken, we're finalizing the live-action sequences over the next few weeks - so there should be more to show soon. It's actually 5 "short films", of around 15 seconds each, that the player will assemble from memory fragments as they complete levels.
    Reminds me of Quantum Break. I'll be keeping an eye.
  • ECHOPLEX Environmental design: The Midroom

The “Midroom” is where you find yourself between levels in ECHOPLEX – a small glass room with a portal leading to a new puzzle. But haven’t you been here before?

Here are my first concept drawings for the Midroom, giving a sense of dimensions, lighting and materials…

The player starts each level inside the glass chamber at the center of the room, going through the portal at the far end to enter the Echoplex.

The glass chamber is the brightest part of the room, illuminated by 3 large light panels set into the ceiling. The walls of the outer chamber are lit by dimmer recessed downlights.

Along one wall is an mirrored observation window. This lets the player see a reflection of themselves at the start of the game (so that they see that they look the same as the Echo).

Large hydraulics can raise and lower the glass chamber.

Midroom plan view: The glass chamber at the center is illuminated by 3 large light panels in the ceiling.

Midroom front elevation: Hydraulics can raise the glass chamber, opening the test platform.

Reference for colour and materials in the Midroom – monochromatic steel, glass and laminate contrast with the strong colours of the Echoplex levels.

See more on the blog
  • edited
    One design challenge with ECHOPLEX is to make the game graphics and the live action "memory fragments" feel like part of the same world.

For #screenshotsaturday, here's a work-in-progress mood board combining the two worlds...

There are two main solutions so far:

1. Desaturating the live action footage - For example, Robyn's skin tone is now similar to the tones you see on the wall in the white corridors in the Echoplex
    2. Adding soft areas of colour - We are overlaying soft areas of colour (magenta and cyan) onto the footage, to pick up the colours in the Echoplex. The colours will represent different story threads.

The next step is to develop design for the memory fragment itself (as seen inside the game), and create a satisfying transition effect between the game and the footage...

Get notified when ECHOPLEX releases

Thanked by 2SUGBOERIE Tuism