Introducing BitTris, a Tetris clone.

edited in Projects
I recently started coding in XNA. For my first test game I created a tetris clone to get to grips with XNA. I've added online leaderboards to make things interesting.

The game (along with source code) and leaderboard can be accessed through http://www.adhocbit.co.za, let me know what you guys think. Full marks to the person that can top my score on the leaderboard :p.

(Also, Kudos to the fellow saffa who pointed me to this great community on reddit)

Comments

• Hello and welcome! (I'm the guy from reddit)

I checked out your game - not too much to say as it is a direct clone - but your execution and polish is good. Did you do the sound and music as well?

I see someone also mentioned this on reddit - XNA is a bit dead now. As far as I know you can't even deploy XNA games on windows 8? I also recommend Unity - you can use C#, and if you can write tetris in XNA, you'll be able to pick up the coding side of Unity pretty easily, but there is still a lot to learn.
  • Thanks!

If XNA games can't deploy on Win8 then it's pretty mediocre from MSoft. I will definitely switch to Unity now.

I did the music myself. The sound fx I got from freeware sites. I started out using some freeware midi application. I played around with it but realized it was a bit limited. I switched to Darkwave studio which was kind of cool. Made a couple of songs but ran into some issue I can't remember now. At last I tried LMMS (the link is on my site) and never looked back. Works very well and it's freeware.
  • AFAIK you can still deploy XNA stuff on Win8, the Skulls of the Shogun guys are Win8 native and they built their whole game in XNA. It's more that Microsoft aren't going to be updating XNA in future and thus it's going to get more difficult to put XNA games on future versions of Windows in general.
    Thanked by 1HighOnFireZA
  • You can, you just cant put it on the Windows 8 Store.
    Thanked by 1HighOnFireZA