[LD 35] Shape Shift Runner

Comments

• Saw a lot of games like this during LD35, but yours is one of the better ones. Really liked the feel of the game. Well done!!
  • Nicely done, I like the simplicity in the aesthetic. Especially the molding into different shapes. I feel like this could be a really cool rhythm game. I thought of this when you slightly speed up the pace and I'm constantly shifting shape. Feels really cool to tap in a rhythm. It'd add a bit more depth to the game too.

I couldn't get too far in the game as the changing lane mechanic was not as clear. I think it may be a combination of the "flat" art style and camera. Was really hard to see the perspective. I almost feel like it should be a snappier change lane to complement the changing shape.

Good work. Was this your first game jam?
  • Hi,
    Yes the biggest issue I had was people not understanding that it is the obstacles that are being controlled, not the player. Something in the background would have made this clearer.

This was my 5th ludum dare, have a look at the authors page to see other entries: http://ludumdare.com/compo/author/reyn/

Thanks for the comment!
    Thanked by 1SUGBOERIE
  • Cool game. It took me a little while to realise that the first pyramid thing was a pickup and from then onward you could shift into that. Also wasn't quite clear why the pyramid couldn't fit through the square hole ;)

I couldn't figure out how to shift lanes reliably. Was I missing something maybe?
  • @francoisvn, yeah, like my previous comment said, there is no lane, you control the obstacles. I thought it was clear but everyone had an issue with it, something in the background or more obstacles at the start would have made it clearer that the shape isn't moving side to side.

As for the pyramid fitting through a square hole ... I initially wanted the pyramid to be able to go through a square and support a lot more shapes, unfortunately Unity 5's mesh collider stopped supporting collisions between concave objects and as a workaround I had a trigger check if the correct shape was selected right after a hole, which was just a mesh and not an array of meshes ...

Anyone confused about the left right movement didn't make it past the first 10 seconds of the game, which is rather disappointing :(

Thanks
  • @reyn: Ah sorry, missed that comment about lanes.

I was actually kinda joking about the pyramid fitting through the square hole, I assumed you didn't want to allow that. If you do, it seems like there are few enough shapes that you could just hardcode the checks for each shape and hole combination.