Prototype Reveal For Windswept

I recently did a bunch of work on my Anti Gravity Racing Game 'Windswept'.

This game is different in that I aspired to make more of a pod racer style game as opposed to a wipe-out game dynamic. To bring in the feel of "racing" in conventional terms.

I'd love to know what you think.

Bern
Thanked by 1tbulford

Comments

• Looks cool :)

So, how would you characterise the difference between a "podracer" type game vs a "wipeout" type game?

From what I see it looks really wipeout-y. Without playing it it's kinda hard to say/see.

I noticed a camera movement independent of the cockpit when in the cockpit, is that player controlled? VR?
  • Hey, Thanks!

I feel Pod racer is more about open tracks where holding the line and utilizing your crafts strengths hold a closer relationship to track racing. Whereas wipe-out feels more like an arcade experience where power ups and zone management are more a required skill. I love both types of games.

The camera system has been developed for head tracking with the current V.R. hardware, I.R. motion tracking. I want to put the player in the cockpit and feel like they are in the craft, on the track! but still keep the 3rd person for those that prefer to race with thier craft in view.
  • I really loved Pod Racer (only good thing to come out of that movie) and you're right, there's definitely a difference in feeling between it and anything more Wipeout-related. I think part of that had to do with how it felt like you were flicking your pod around and then turning by boosting forwards (while sideways), so it made corners more exciting than just areas you have to slow down in.

Your trailer mentions IndieGogo, is this a funding campaign concept? If so, I'd strongly suggest moving the vehicle showcase to the end (or removing it altogether) as it's slow and you only have a limited amount of time with a campaign video to catch people as quickly as possible. Show them gameplay and why that gameplay is awesome ASAP, then support with what else you've got going in the game :)

Also, best thing about Pod Racer was squeezing through narrow gaps at crazy speeds and having alternate track paths. Are those in?
  • Thanks for the idea on the trailer, makes sense. No alt paths yet, but there are still 9 tracks to complete. You are spot on about the handling in pod racer.
  • edited
    Thanked by 1Calvin_J
  • edited
    Awesome :) Definitely an improvement on the first video!

I still feel like it's a minute-30 to long though. It starts getting quite same-y in the last minute for sure, or if it's not the same, it's difficult for the unfamiliar viewer (me) to tell the difference.

So, other things:

- It feels like you're missing an opportunity to time your scene switches to the major notes of the music track when the trailer starts. It feels a little off at the moment, like it was maybe trying to sync but missed it.

- I'm not sure the scale comparison is working for you. It seems like it takes a while (and the timing of things like that for people to absorb is tricky, always too long or too short, never goldilocks) and it's not actually relevant, if the ships were tiny and still handled like they do in the video it'd still be fun to play, right? I'd put that on a site or a campaign as supporting info, also, I'd make it compare to a T-rex because dinosaurs are badass ;)

- Are you planning to change the font used in the game? The current one really stands out from the futuristic vibe you've got going. If you need silhouetting to make it readable, a faded black poly behind it would feel a lot more modern instead of cartoony.

- Is there a reason the minimap spins and flips around like that? It's very visible in the first person mode. I'm not sure it's a great thing for the game feel, but maybe it's a purposeful thing?
  • While trying not to give away my age ... this (oddly enough) gave me the warm fuzzies of nostalgia.

Years ago I did the Linux port for Ballistics:

Although Windswept is obviously different, it does remind me, just a bit ... of that. That game was probably one of the most fun Linux ports I ever did and I kept having to force myself to focus on coding after realizing I'd just been playing for an hour - haha

I'm looking forward to seeing windswept's progress.
  • @clive thats awesome, Thanks for that. Im gonna see if I can get a copy of Ballistics.
    Thanked by 1clive
  • Watched both trailers. The second one is better and I think as @dislekcia mentioned keeping it short and punchy would be the best. We're living in a world of 140 characters and 30 second highlight reels. Hitting all the key aspects of your game sooner and in faster progression keeps the watcher interested to know more. I feel like a trailer should always leave the person curious for more.

In terms of gameplay, I can't say much without playing. I like the way you camputre the sense of speed with the camera trailing back. Looks nice. I agree with @Tuism I don't particularly so on face value how it is not wipeout-y. You're explanation of the difference makes totall sense but just can't tell it through the visuals. I
    Thanked by 1Blackson
  • From the videos, this game looks like it gets a great feeling of speed. The way the racers control looks like fun as well.

I can't tell from the videos if you have plans to add gameplay/features/visuals that haven't been experienced before in this sort of game. It looks like you're managing to reproduce some of what made pod-racer or wipe-out great, which might be an awesome starting point.

I guess I'm saying I'm curious about what you are trying to make and where you are right now in relation to that.

@clive Damn, Ballistics feels like pure speed.
  • @EvanGreenwood I hear you on "cant tell from the videos", I've had a lot of that on some forums so I'm working on a single player playable demo now. There are also a bunch of other things that I need feedback like controls and camera preferences, so its just makes sense at this point. I hope to have that done like thurs morning, if my brain holds up :)
  • The first demo for windswept has arrived, This demo is to test the reaction to basic racing controls and obtain feedback and suggestions.

Try the Demo : https://bernardbell.itch.io/windswept
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • The sense of speed is really great, nailed it on that :)

I hadn't read this thread yet, so didn't know you were going for Pod Racer vs Wipeout. The tracks and vehicles actually feel a lot more like Wipeout to me. This is both visually, and in the width of the tracks (openness of PR's tracks was mentioned above).

I only had a quick try with the keyboard, do you support controllers yet? With Wipeout at least, analog control (and that fantastic aerobraking system) was a huge part of the feel of the game.
    Thanked by 1Blackson
  • edited
    Hi @mattbenic. You can play with a game pad currently (you might want to configure the options in the startup dialog to suite your play style) the game (IMO) plays better with a game pad because the analog translates back into the game (allowing you to turn gently or sharply).

On the design front, this is really funny, whereas both game have been an inspiration. I really wanted to make something that was not like either but incorporated the elements I enjoyed most (e.g. P.R, I love the speed and ability to use your boost tactically, in wipe-out I love the reward vs risk of pickups). It looks however (excuse the pun) that more elements have bled through from wipeout.

Thanks your for testing and your feedback!

• Here is gameplay footage of the demo

• Hi All,

After taking into account all the good crit from the first demo, here is the next test with the most requested changes to controls.

The ships are much more responsive and swimming has been fixed. Some new art assets and functionality.

Please give it a try and post your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Bern.

Get the demos (I left the first one up incase anyone wants to compare evolution) from ..
    https://bernardbell.itch.io/windswept
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • edited
    Here are some screens from the latest controls test demo:

Thanked by 2mattbenic Elyaradine
  • Screenshots not displaying? Or is that just me behind our picky firewall?
  • @mattbenic I could be that I linked them from itchio. Let me relink them.
  • Cool they work now :)
    Thanked by 1Blackson
  • I like the sense of scale in that last shot. :) I never really got into pod racer personally, but I loved Wipeout, and I was a bit disappointed with Formula Fusion (as it currently is, anyway).

Are you doing everything yourself?
  • edited
    @Elyaradine That ship is about the size of a bus (height wise). Yup, everything - makes progress really slow.
  • Hi all, here is some up-to-date footage from the new demo

• This looks soooo polished. Although I cannot comment on the controls without playing myself, I would like to comment on the sound in the game. I really like the SFX you used, but felt the music to be way to soft. Is that the default volume levels or did you just set it like that for the vid?
  • FanieG said:
    This looks soooo polished. Although I cannot comment on the controls without playing myself, I would like to comment on the sound in the game. I really like the SFX you used, but felt the music to be way to soft. Is that the default volume levels or did you just set it like that for the vid?
    the volume can be controlled in the demo (of the music only) but its at default 50%, there are a lot of subsystems not in place or not fully working (like persistence of settings like volume) but all in good time!

Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Guys, the second demo is now available on Mac! https://bernardbell.itch.io/windswept
    Thanked by 1BenJets
  • Just played the demo for the first time, and have to say this is super exciting. As a fan of both Wipeout and Pod Racer, it makes me really happy to play this demo and see what you're doing with this game.

I think you've done a great job with the racing itself. Controls are good and the sense of speed is awesome.

Something that I'd like to see would be some better feedback for when your shields are being used. Too often I landed up exploding after skating along the edge of the track without realizing it. Would be good to have some more obvious indication of you depleting your shields, while you can still focus on what you're doing. Seeing an actual shield around your ship would be really cool in my books.

My other wish was that I had more power ups to collect and use. I understand you've made a concious descision to go Pod Racer rather than Wipeout, but personally I know I'd love to have these vehicles some other things alongsid flying really fast.

Really stoked to see what you're doing! Looking forward to seeing where you take the game!
    Thanked by 1Blackson
  • @benJets, thanks for the great feedback, its always a pleasure to read a comment like yours. You should have seen an effect, (let me know what settings you were running at), Its using a refraction shader (think f.e.a.r grenades) perhaps the fall back shader is not displaying or the effect is not effective, I have a nice force field shader I used in another project, I will swap it out on the next demo. Weapons will be included at a future point as a racing mode, (I am also looking to add a co-op mode where 1 player races and the other manages ship system/ uses weapon systems.
    Thanked by 1mattbenic
  • Super cool to hear what you've got planned Blackson!

I'm especially excited by the idea of the co-op mode. That would make for something completely new in the genre!

I tookanother look at the demo, and regret to confirm that there definatelt aren't any shields showing up in the Mac build. Hope it's not anything too major that's acting up on that front!
    Thanked by 1Blackson
  • I love the co-op idea, that sounds really unique :)
    Thanked by 1Blackson
  • BenJets said:
    Super cool to hear what you've got planned Blackson!

I'm especially excited by the idea of the co-op mode. That would make for something completely new in the genre!

I tookanother look at the demo, and regret to confirm that there definatelt aren't any shields showing up in the Mac build. Hope it's not anything too major that's acting up on that front!
    Hmm, I can only think the current shader is not working on mac, I will change it up as I was not entirely satisfied with the current attempt anyway. Thanks for coming back to me! you rock!
  • Here is some footage of track 2, Was really racing poorly and bouncing around :(

Thanked by 1mattbenic