[LD35] WhereWolf

edited in Online Competitions & Jams

Good day fine people of South Africa!

It has really been a while since I have interacted in any way with the forums. I have been lurking from the shadows now and then though ;)

Ludum Dare was coming up and I though it time to get some momentum again in game dev before I completely rust. After doing an awesome pixel art course I felt motivated to put it to practise. That being said it is basically all I focused on in this game. I didn't really get to building a proper game.

Anyway thought I would post it :) Enjoy!

Ludum Dare Link

Comments

• Voted!
    The art is well done but the gameplay lacks a bit of variety and fun. Nice idea and overall well done :)
  • Simple game. Mechanically the only thing I'd suggest is that your change move is associated with a tile move. So, if I right click to a movable tile then I changed to the werewolf and and move to that tile.

As art was your main focus in this jam. I think you pulled it off well. I'm no artist but I like the way you had a clear location for your light source in all the different turning sprites. Good job. I've been playing around with pixel art too. It's not as easy as I thought it was. :P

• Interesting idea, but it's a bit random right now. Maybe if you could see one move ahead for the villager that would help? Like, if you hover over a villager, show a ghost of their predicted position next, or have something that can do that for everyone.

If you tween the objects from one tile to another, i think it would have a big impact on how the game is perceived.

Any reason why you don't restrict the movement to the 4 cardinal directions and then allow the use of arrow keys and a shift button?

I like the "Made by Loet and lack of sleep" ;)
  • @zaphire thanks for the vote :)

@sugboerie yeah I was really struggling with pixel art until I finished that tutorial I linked above. It really sets you up on how to approach and finish what you want to create. I hear what you saying on the change and move but what I wanted to achieve was for the change to cost you a turn so that you have to think about the enemy movement when you change. Thinking at the moment though that it might be more interesting to change say every 3 turns between human and wolf so that I can play puzzles around that.

@francoisvn yes really random I have to admit. I did't even play test the last level cause that was 10 minutes before the deadline. Hmm I like the idea of having more information on where the enemy is intending to move. Yeah I really wanted to clean up animation as well but could't really get to it. I wanted to convey the farmer killing the wolf as well. No real reason that I allowed diagonal movement just thought it might add more options. I guess not using the keys has something to do with me thinking a bit of mobile and sticking with clicking.
  • Interesting. I would actually think that having 4 directions is better for mobile cause you can do swipe-to-move instead of tapping, but maybe not...

I like exploring the idea of automatically changing every couple turns. You could easily tie that into a day/night or lunar cycle thing.
  • edited

Well done on the pixel art! That course might be worth checking out