Devlog vs Devblog

Hello everyone,

I have tried to find a difference between the two but I cannot. Anyone else know when to use "Devlog" and when to use "Devblog"?

Comments

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've heard "devlog" more often, but I really don't think it matters.
  • Some things I have noticed but not 100% is the following.
    Devlog = Mostly consists of videos or blog posts
    Devblog = Mostly consists of blog posts

I cannot confirm if this is fact but that is what I can find.
  • edited
    Devlog is a term from way back when the internet was very young, perhaps even before that. Developers would write log files of what they were doing and what they were planning to work on, those files would get posted around on different newsgroups and BBSes (once those were a thing people could use). Developer logs merged with the idea of a dev.log (either an output debug logging file that only developers could decipher or a form of changelog) and became a "devlog". Many game developers used to read Carmack's devlogs that was hosted in a variety of different places, depending on which game he was working on.

Devblogs are a newer portmanteau that rely on the idea of "blogging", sometimes a developer's blog could be analogous to a devlog, other times not. It actually doesn't really matter. The only difference is that a blog is probably hosted using some sort of blogging platform/software on the developer's own site. Devlogs used to be just raw textfiles with timestamps in them. So, someone might be hosting their devlog on a blog. Or they might just be blogging about dev stuff. *shrug*
    Thanked by 1TheFuntastic
  • Thanks a lot for the info @dislekcia.

This clears it up much better. So technically devlog could be used for anything such as video devlogs or blog post devlogs but the devblog would be related to blog posts specifically.
  • Yeah, I suppose nobody would say dev-vlog because that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue ;)

Generally I'd assume a devblog was the webpage itself: "Here's the link to my devblog!". While the writing/content would be a log.

I'm pretty sure this is just semantics. And now I feel old.