[Prototype] Missed 67games Jam so made Heavy Algebra anyway

Hey,

I missed 67Games Jam because I'm an idiot and life. But here is a game I made anyway. Tell me why it's bad. Please, and thank you.

mmrp7-1.co.za/HeavyAlg/screen.png
screen.png
954 x 596 - 14K

Comments

• I'm instantly pleased by what I see in the screenshot, always nice when numbers are put towards something less abstract. But I can't get this working. :(
  • Wait, just got it running on one of my browsers!

If you do want the bad news first, the 67jam brief needs this to switch away from mouse control. I don't see this being an impossible obstacle though, I think the way your numbers and items are laid out is very conducive to the arrows/Z/X scheme.

I really like that the puzzles have a certain open-endedness to them. I think this is great for kids who just want to sit down for a few minutes and feel expressive with math before moving on to the next minigame. This feels a great deal more like "play" than a lot of educational games.

Having literal scales is a cool reinforcer. I'm a big fan of trying to de-abstract games for kids. If you have access to the resources, will you consider theming this? You could have two elephants on a see-saw and you're feeding them various foods to make them heavier, etc ;)
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • If you do want the bad news first, the 67jam brief needs this to switch away from mouse control. I don't see this being an impossible obstacle though, I think the way your numbers and items are laid out is very conducive to the arrows/Z/X scheme.
    Thank you, :). I'll keep that in mind. With such little time, I never read all of the information. I agree, I don't think it would be too difficult to realign the game to use keys.

I'm not too sure about theming at the moment, so starting with elephants might be good place to start. I guess applying it to money might also work, but might be too on the nose.

Thank you for your feedback. :)