Potchefstroom Community Evening ?

Ay there.

So I am now a student at NWU and It occurred to me that NWU would be a great place to host a meetup. I spoke to some people here and the policy seems to be that we need to pay to use their facilities for events involving persons not involved at the university. I asked if NWU was interested in sponsoring the event but they declined. I know that there is quite a lot of interest in a local MGSA meetup but I am not sure if people would be willing to pay for such an event.

So I am wondering what you guys think the next step is ? The cost of one of these meetups would be around R600. Would MGSA be able to pay for this ? Should I try and get some sponsors ? What about an entrance fee ?

Thanks for your inputs,
-Kobus

Comments

• @Kobusvdwalt9 maybe look into starting a society or some other form of student group?

Generally you can book facilities through such and organization and not have to pay for it, this is what we did with some stuff when I was at Tuks.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Another option is approaching local tech businesses that might have space, or local bars/restaurants that would be keen to host an even once a month. The local bars will probably be fairly keen if you schedule it for a quieter night cause of the regular patronage.

You could also consider starting with a more casual meetup, just at a local venue and see if makes sense to grow to a more formal thing with talks and such.
  • +1 for starting casual. People first, professional venue comes later once you actively need a projector for everyone to see/hear what's being spoken about.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • Cool so I am in the process of organizing a classroom at my old school. Is there anything I need to do in terms of MGSA to make this official ? Will a simple forum post like the ones for Joburg and CT suffice ? I am looking at the 30th of March for the date.

What about marketing material ? Like the logo or the flyers that was made a while back. Is there some sort of press package I can download.
  • I think a forum post should be fine. Maybe also a Facebook event if you think that'll help make people aware of it and invite others. I'd try focus on getting the numbers and "retaining" them for the immediate future. Having a topic of discussion might help with that, and emphasising showing playable prototypes sounds smart.

Not sure where you can get any marketing material, but I suspect it won't matter too much, just title it the Make Games meetup and figure out the rest later?
    Thanked by 1dislekcia