[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 24 February

edited in Events
This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Last Wednesday of the month

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks - 20 min slots
- Team Lazerbeam
- Shipping kills studios - dislekcia

Focused Feedback - 10 min slots
- Swarm Wielders
- Brawler Prototype

Open Demo Floor

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1285432121485767/
Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood

Comments

• We would like to demo and talk about our game, swarm wielders - and get some feedback of course!

I'll upload a demo tonight or latest tomorrow as well!
  • @Denzil - I'll add you to the focused feedback session. Feel free to set up the game before and after the main meetup so lots of people can give it a go. And if you have specific question for your feedback session, that will help to drive your 10 minute slot to be the most valuable to you.
    Thanked by 1Denzil
  • @dammit Thanks for the advice!
  • Would anyone be interested in a fairly brief talk, "Basics of writing a well-structured blog post, no guarantees of success."?
    Thanked by 2Mexicanopiumdog Ross
  • I'm tempted to try a dry run of my GDC talk, but it's an hour long session and I'm not quite finished gathering data for it yet... Can I perhaps sneak in a slot closer to the time if there's one going begging?
    Thanked by 1Mexicanopiumdog
  • @dislekcia - Sure, but I'll limit you to a maximum of 40 minutes if no other talks are being done and 20 minutes if there are other talks.
  • dammit said:
    @dislekcia - Sure, but I'll limit you to a maximum of 40 minutes if no other talks are being done and 20 minutes if there are other talks.
    I wouldn't want a 40 minute slot anyway - this would just be to test the flow of the talk itself. Maybe shop some jokes.
  • @dammit: I like the idea of your talk. I'd especially be interested to hear advice for writing blog posts quickly. I find it takes really long to get a blog post written and edited, so it ends up almost never happening.

I have a talk idea I've been thinking about recently. The preliminary title is "Iteration - Making Games To Get Better At Making Games To Get Better At..." I haven't actually prepared the talk yet, and Feb is rather busy, so leaving it till March might make more sense, but I thought I'd mention it in case more content is desired.
    Thanked by 2dammit NickCuthbert
  • @Denzil - A heads up that we'll only have a Linux machine at the meetup. If you need windows or a mac, please bring that so you can demo with ease :)
    Thanked by 1Denzil
  • I'll have my Linux laptop there. If anyone wants to send through anything earlier so I can test it, that might be useful. Presentations shouldn't be any issue, and sometimes Windows builds work in Wine, but it isn't Windows so YMMV.
  • @dammit I would like to show the progress @dawidstrauss and myself have made with the "Brawler" prototype, and get some feedback on how it plays. I'll upload a demo a few days before the meetup, as well as have the latest build there on the day.

Really looking forward to seeing what the players do with the 4 player co-op madness.
  • Grand! I'll add you to the focused feedback slot @pieter
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • @dammit Thanks! I use linux as well though! I'll bring my machine anyway so people can play test before and after, as per your suggestion :)
  • It looks like space for talks may be full already, but if possible @Nekropants, @Jaysong and I are keen to share a talk about Team Lazerbeam.

The three of us have been making weird little games together for a year and a bit, and it's been great. We've had a huge amount of fun, and while we've not tried to hard to get attention, the response we have had has been very encouraging. Two of our little games have landed up on Rock Paper Shotgun. After putting Snow Cones on itch.io in December, we were blown away to see it lead to some wonderful let's plays on youtube.

We're excited about taking Team Lazerbeam further this year. We'd love to share our story so far and our plans for the future. It'd be great to hear what community members think of our plan of action as well.

I'd also hope our story might act as some extra encouragement for anyone that needs a little extra push, encouraging them to team up with friends and make niche games for the love of it.
    Thanked by 2dammit Squidcor
  • I am 100% cool with giving "my" slot to @BenJets and Team Lazerbeam. That gives me more time to finish preparing :)
  • I'm still not 100% about my talk, so if Team Lazerbeam is keener, that's cool with me.

P.S. Lazer? Y'all know it's laser. Right?
  • edited
    They are just the intermediately evolved form. Everyone knows it's:
    Laser > Lazer > LAZORS!
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • I actually hadn't assigned any of the talk slots and wasn't convinced of my own. So, @benjets, you'll have the floor :)
  • edited
    I'd still be keen to hear @dislekcia's talk if there is time (can we have two talk slots?). I'm particularly interested about the research that's gone into it.
  • @evangreenwood - @dislekcia has decided not to speak this month.

• edited
    It seems there was confusion over my talk, as no decision was made by me other than addressing timing and willingness to talk.

1. I want to give my talk, if I didn't want to give my talk, I wouldn't have raised it for the meetup.
    2. I only need 10 minutes (this seems a substantive point of confusion), that's more than enough time to practice elements of my talk before GDC.
    3. I only mentioned not speaking in the event of talk time being oversubscribed. On further consideration, I really could do with the feedback on this that a meetup would provide.
  • edited
    @dislekcia - kk. Let me know if the title of your talk is correct.
  • Looking forward to this!
  • Hi everyone, this will be my first meetup.
    Really looking forward to it!!
  • Thanks for that @dammit!

Thanks @francoisvn for the space!

Thanks @dilekcia for looking out for us on the spelling front. Thanks @TheFuntastic for explaining the laser evolution.

By going the "lazer" route, we're showing that we're radical and extreme dudes. Not like, "LAZOR-level" rad and x-treme, but still a bit rad and x-treme.
  • @dammit Will anyone be doing pre-drinks/dinner today?
  • @Mexicanopiumdog We actually have Johan coming in this afternoon so we might not get to the venue on time (which is part of the reason I've asked @francoisvn to host this evening). So, sadly, no pre-drinks/dinner planned from our side, but that's not stopping anyone else :)
  • I'll unfortunately not be able to make it tonight but there's an interesting Google Hangout happening at 10pm tonight that I thought some of you might like to know about and attend. It's with Jesse Schell of Schell Games and the title is: "How transformational games are changing education". Not everyones cup of tea I know but Jesse Schell is a legend and always worth listening to. https://plus.google.com/events/cv4f43vffsg1dq3080nibo13ns4
    Enjoy tonight and see you all next month hopefully
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • MNRosa said:
    I'll unfortunately not be able to make it tonight but there's an interesting Google Hangout happening at 10pm tonight that I thought some of you might like to know about and attend. It's with Jesse Schell of Schell Games and the title is: "How transformational games are changing education". Not everyones cup of tea I know but Jesse Schell is a legend and always worth listening to. https://plus.google.com/events/cv4f43vffsg1dq3080nibo13ns4
    Enjoy tonight and see you all next month hopefully
    Whoa. Um... Any chance we can wrangle this into maybe watching the hangout at the BWB after the meetup?

@dammit: Is there a hard time we have to leave by? Can we get internet there?
  • @dislekcia, No there shouldn't be a hard time I will confirm with the BB
  • AFAIK, we do need to be out by 9pm. Or Maybe it was 10pm. I remember being told at some point...
  • The meetup was awesome! The games were rad, the talks were rad. Thanks for having me.
  • Thank you everyone for all the incredible feedback and insights on the Brawler prototype, and for being such an awesome community. All the love! <3
  • Great meetup last night! Great to see the cool prototypes on show and hear @dislekcia's talk!

Thanks so much for giving @nekropants and I the opportunity to share our talk on the first year of Team Lazerbeam with everyone. It was really good looking back at what we've done and look ahead to the future. Thanks as well to those who gave us positive feedback afterwards; it was great to hear!

If anyone's keen on playing the games we showed off, three of the four are up here:

https://teamlazerbeam.itch.io/

Wrestling With Emotions should also be there in the near future!