Kaleidope

edited in Projects
Heya!
I'm busy working on a kaleidoscope game that i really wanted to make. I have an idea I want to test out for the game play which I will post up soon for feedback. But in the meantime I wanted to show a concept for the visuals, which were made in unity. Not everything moves to the music exactly how I would like as it is still quite rough. My audio programming skills are also still in their infancy, but any feedback on whats happening so far would be awesome. Just as a precaution could I ask not to share the video on social media as I don't own the rights to use the music, it is just a test for the aesthetic of the thing, and for the porpoises* of this post.
Thanks!:)

EDIT: Music: Joe Ford - Behemoth

Comments

• @bevis Lovely idea! I am curious to see what type of gameplay you will integrate into this visualizer-thing.. the visuals/colours and patterns are looking very interesting and I'm sure there is a lot more behind that door that you can still explore! Btw, how are you triggering the movement/displacement? Are you mapping frequency bands or using the transients of the beats? The type of music is also down my avenue, love that cruncy/glitchy electro feel! GET gameplay in there and repost!
    Thanked by 1pieter
  • I like the look and feel! :)

I don't know how I feel about it as a proof of concept yet because of the lack of gameplay, but I found staring at the shapes pretty mesmerising. The colours and shapes are appealing, though it does get a bit samey with it all using the 5-sided shape at the same angle. Maybe changing how many sides in the shape, or rotating the image (in the plane of the camera), or having the image itself be on a quad that you can tilt in 3D space (kind of like Super Hexagon I guess?) could add some variety.
  • Real pretty! I'm interested in how you will turn it into a game as well though! Keep us updated.
  • Oh lawd that's so beautiful :D

I dunno about the game cos there's no game yet, but it's really stunning already. I like the choice of 5 lines of symmetry, it makes the whole thing less "perfect" - an even-numbered symmetry would be perfect vertical and horizontal symmetry and that's less interesting.

Is this all shader tricks?
  • Stunning. How? :)