Showreel [Stacy Fabrè 2016]

edited in Portfolios

I'm not much of an animator, but a lot of my work is best caught in motion so I made a short showreel showing that.

Feel free to chip in with showreel crit/ experiences.

I made it short and sweet,
I hope that's okay

:)
Thanked by 1dammit

Comments

• Hey Stacy! Make it longer! I was only just getting into your Reel and then it was suddenly..over :(
    Also, there is too much text to read it in the short amount of time that it is there, I was rather focusing on the animations...maybe have the clips longer or shorten the text all together?
    I really like the GGJ game you worked on, I hope you get to make many more of those kinds of games this year!

I am sure you have a lot more stuff to show off! :D

Thanked by 1Sabrekitty
  • @Mexicanopiumdog
    Thanks man :)

How long would you say it should be? I've heard keeping it to about 30 - 40 secs is better than making it too long, since companies don't have all the time in the world.

I don't have that much to show off that I consider my strongest works.

Would buffing it out with my concept art be okay? I'm not sure concept art is best in a reel.

Kind Regards
    Stacy Fabrè
  • I would have to disagree with mexicanopiumdog, don't make it any longer if you don't have strong pieces to put in.

That being said any length up to a 1:30 is fine, if you have the pieces to justify it . You could maybe show 2 or 3 more seconds of the second piece maybe, as it seems to fade out before I get an idea of whats going on.

Also IMHO I'd put your global game jam piece first, as it has the most polished feel.

Thanked by 2Elyaradine pieter
  • Yeah, I think the duration of each clip was the right length; you just need more work (and better work, as you make it).

That said, depending on what other work you have around, I think it's too early to be making a reel. I don't think the character animation reflects well on you at the moment. The GGJ entry looks quite nice (especially because it was a jam). The camera work on the phone render is uncomfortable; some of the cuts seem to happen at unexpected times, and I feel there's a bit of floaty behaviour going on.

Are you studying somewhere? I ask because it's unusual to see such a wide array of work (drawing in pencils, digital paint, 2D anim, 3D pipeline) except when schools are trying to expose students to a bunch of different fields.
  • @Elyaradine

You may be right with the show reel stuff, I'm not really studying per se, more doing a course in my spare time and trying to keep a float.

Work is varied because people are always asking different things of me. At some point you either have to do different stuff or not move forward.