Cricket Dice

edited in Projects
Hey all,
My FIRST GAME! It was inspired by @dislekcia - I don't know how far he's gotten along with his attempt.
It is a dice game and currently pure chance without much strategy, although there are 3 appeal cards that you can play. Making it more like a strategy game - team selection etc. will involve cards but I think I have the basic gameplay right.
Please read the rules and try out the game. I've done some of the artwork (in a basic manner) - so you're able to get the feel of playing the game. The instructions can be found here (easier to update minor changes as I think about them via the cloud and have one version).
If you can give me your feedback on what you thought of the game in general - what you liked; what could be improved.
How did you find the instructions. Were they easy to read and understand? If you didn't already know the rules of cricket, how did you find it?
How did you find the rate of wickets falling and the run scoring - was that too fast; too slow or just right?
Which scenario did you play. Can you comment on the length of the "match". Long / short / okay?
Did you like the scoreboard? Did you find it easy to use (if you used it?)
How did the "Appeal" card impact the game? Do you think that this is needed? and was the "resolution process" reasonable in terms of there is a 50% change of a favourable outcome or should I change those odds?
If you want to complete the questions via a Form, here is the link

Thank you for your input.
Kim

Comments

• Nice hearing that my odd cricket card/dice game was inspiring :)

So, in comparison, this is a pretty different game. It's much more accessible, although the rules are on the complex side - it took me a while to realise that wickets were only a double roll event, so that table is definitely useful. From reading the rest of the rules, I'd hazard that the game is quite random-driven. Although that can be totally legitimately fun, it doesn't really give players much choice or opportunity to exercise skill in a competitive sense. I think there are probably ways to let players get more involved with what happens in the random outcomes. The run amounts all being 1-2-3 when anything beyond a 5 or 6 is rolled feels strange as well, it makes the batting dice only rarely interact with the game.

I also feel like the Appeal cards currently have no cost to using them. Given that they'll help you out 50% of the time and have zero impact when they "go wrong", there's no reason not to use them as soon as possible every time. It might be an idea to give them a cost that would make their deployment more of a decision point.