[Project] Investment Game - Visual Art Feedback Wanted

Hi Everyone

We're working on a client game at the moment which is meant to teach skills about saving and investing to South Africans. The target audience is people who have recently graduated, are in their first jobs and are in their 20s, basically. We've been working with a company called Flow to do user testing which has been super interesting - we've had a lot of feedback and made changes accordingly. Of course, sometimes it's difficult to understand exactly why the testers say what they do etc. We're looking for a little more feedback now from the community before we go to our second last user testing session because we'll only have a week after that session to make any changes.

We're not looking for feedback on the game design itself - generally this has been something the testers have found interesting/enjoyable/stimulating enough that they want to try and "win". There's also a few things that we may have done differently but were based on the initial brief for the project.

What we have had feedback on is that the game "looks like it's for children" even though the content is clearly for our audience; and that they found the art not bright enough, too dull etc. All the testers (barring one white dude) have been people who play mobile games and have at least at some point played candy crush on their phone. What we're trying to figure out now is whether changing the art style has made the game feel more appropriate for the age group.

So, here are a few screens of our Street Vendor game's initial art;

And here is our most recent iteration:

Comments

• I can definitely see why people say it's "for children". The styling and colours pretty much say that, and most importantly the central character of a kid hugely says that. The squiggly rough linework of the illustrations enforce that too (why some interfaces with wonky lines and some without?). And that it looks like an education game (is it?) makes it automatically seem like a kid's game (because adults don't want to be educated).

I don't think adults want to be cast as a child, especially when there's character customisation - it doesn't appeal. But that's bigger than graphic design.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Tuism said:
    I can definitely see why people say it's "for children". The styling and colours pretty much say that, and most importantly the central character of a kid hugely says that. The squiggly rough linework of the illustrations enforce that too (why some interfaces with wonky lines and some without?). And that it looks like an education game (is it?) makes it automatically seem like a kid's game (because adults don't want to be educated).

I don't think adults want to be cast as a child, especially when there's character customisation - it doesn't appeal. But that's bigger than graphic design.
    So, do you think the second set looks more adult? We haven't updated every aspect yet, but we're going for cleaner lines etc

• The second set is more contemporary and more grown up, but I still wouldn't call it "adult"... That's like saying angry birds is adult, which it's not particularly, but it's not bogged down by the thematics making it look "childish".

There's every chance of hand-drawn style looking more adult - but that again has to do with theme.

I think simply changing the visual style won't make the game seem less like it's for kids :/

Like if you made the shopkeeper a monster, or a dog/cat, or something else. Maybe if the gameplay were a little more irreverent and ridiculous. Have you seen Cart Life? That's adult with this theme.

Sorry if what I'm saying doesn't help because the game has been locked down already, but that's how I'd deal with it if I didn't want the game to seem like it were "for kids".
  • We have another iteration of the character to make her look older:

• I don't know if that's effectively older than the first picture in the thread... I'm talking about a suit, a boep, stubbles, has a cigar (ok of course we can't promote smoking) or something. What a street vendor might actually look like.

I'm not sure if what I'm talking about can fit into your client's needs. I know how corporates get.
  • Having a single character be the focus of the game is probably part of the issue. It might be an idea to "flip it" and have the game look like it's facing out from behind a market stall. You still have all the same interface elements clickable in your major scenes, but now you're behind the curtain so you can see things like stock levels or where the cash is hidden, silhouettes of people walking by (not detailed characters, just outlines), etc. I think that would help to make the game feel more "adult".

Also, there's very little foreground/background indication in the current art. It feels like the saturation is all the same across the entire image. Buttons also don't really stand out, I was wondering why she was selling shopping cart pictures until I realised those must be some sort of re-stock button... Some subtle shading or crosshatching to add gradients to the scene might help direct the player's eyes around the interface more. And the slight blurring of the table and stall elements needs to go.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • edited
    After more internal meetings, we're going to work more on making the character look older - but we're also going to reframe the character as your "hired assistant" (thus not trying to make the person identify with the character, and possibly also feel more mature since you're hiring someone to do the "menial" labour work). If I have more art to show later, I will share :)

Edit: As a note, the entire store upgrades so you're eventually a shop owner essentially kinda - but we've decided to push up the starting point to be more "expensive" rather than as "cheap" as it looks now. Hopefully this will help too.
  • edited
    Heya,
    I tried to make the colour pallet more "adult". But honestly I there's a bigger issue of composition. The building and umbrellas pull to much weight visually and the value structure is confusing as to where the most important information is.
    Some elements have perspective and others not which makes for an uncomfortable read. The composition is very flat and symmetrical. Symmetry isn't a "bad" thing, but I don't think it's the right for this. Your clickables take up very little screen real-estate which makes them harder to click. If it's important make them bigger, from what I can tell they the main interaction. I don't know how the game plays or anything but if they items are placed then maybe it's okay for them to be flat and graphical verses the environment that could have depth, hopefully separating them. I know my quick paintover has a totally different style but I think it still illustrates an alternative to your composition, colour and element weighting.
    Start_of_Day_Screen_overpaint.png
    850 x 569 - 407K