[Event Planning] JHB Board & Card games

edited in General
Hi Everyone,

So lately there has been discussions about getting together monthly to play some board and card games. I thought I would start this thread so that all people interested could input some ideas on how we could organize this. This group is mainly for people in and around Johannesburg(though I'm sure that the CT people or anywhere can get their own thing going as well). I was thinking about stuff like

1) How often we should play?
2) Where are we going to play? and
3) What Games to play?(please....no monopoly)

So if you are interested, raise your voice here.
Thanked by 3Tuism Tachyon hanli

Comments

• 1) Depending on everyone, I think the longer the meet the less frequent. Time economy point of view a longer time (half day) every month to two weeks I think is ideal.
    2) Tough. Depends on amount of people. If we have enough I'm sure we can approach something more than living rooms, but we shouldn't count on it for now.
    3) I'm partial to Android Netrunner, Thunderstone if someone has (I know someone), I do enjoy Citadels (I have), and I guess whatever other people enjoy at the time.
  • @Tuism - agreed on point 1. Some games take time to teach and reach a conclusion. Would prefer not to be looking at the clock all the time. A Saturday or Sunday would be preferable. I'm open to pretty much any game that's not stock standard in most retailers.
  • Yeah, I think monthly or longer between events. And definitely on a Saturday or Sunday. @Tuism, what would be your definition of "more than living rooms"? I'm quite partial to living rooms :P
  • A few friends and I meet on occasion in Stellenbosch if anyone is interested. We play games like: Android:Netrunner, Dominion, Mage Knight, Power Grid, Wiz War, Small World, etc. Anyone is more than welcome to join our next meetup, they merely need to let me know and I will invite them. We meet at irregular intervals, but usually on Saturdays.

It is also worth mentioning that Fanaticus (http://fanaticus.co.za) have play sessions every two weeks (IIRC) at their store.
  • @Rigormortis please pop "Joburg" into the headline :P

My definition of more than living rooms is only if we have more than say 10 people, then a living room (at least mine for sure) wouldn't fit. Then we'd have to find alternatives or someone with a big living room :P
  • @francoisvn, cool! :) Maybe start another thread for people in/near Stellenbosch to see if there is any interest. It's not that we want an exclusive group...it just might be a hard drive to make every month :P

@Tuism, I would be glad to offer my living room...but I think that people are mostly around JHB so it would be too far to come all the way to Pretoria. I know the coffee shop approach usually works for card games because they tend to structured in quick rounds and don't take as much space. But board games could be a problem with that approach. Another alternative is maybe finding a gaming store that holds regular events and just fall in with their crowd?
  • @Rigormortis, I think most of the meets will end up being in Jozi but I think it would only be fair to have at least one on your side of the world.

PS. What visa do I need to visit PTA? :P
  • @Tachyon, You need one of the new orange Visa's with Madiba on the one side. :P
    Thanked by 2Bensonance Tuism
  • Hahaha well played sir!
  • So I've been looking at the calender. It seems kind of hard over the holiday season to find a date, but how about we start the first games day the 1st of December? It's a saturday.

Otherwise we could use the december meetup as the first games day? Just thought that the people that might still be here pn the first could join us if we held it before the 11th.
  • There was talk of next meet being a non-meet of social, sounds like it'll be good for boardgames. All in favour say something about your inner child.