[Jam game] Energy Management

This was a game jam that I worked on in an 8-hour narrative game jam about 2-3 months ago. I liked the direction, but there were a whole bunch of interactions that didn't make it into the 8 hours. I've been holding off on posting because I wanted to clean that up, but the initial buzz has died down and I've moved onto other little games. I think it's still worth showing here though!

The main point of the jam was to make a narrative game, but one of my secondary goals was just to learn to use Twine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9847316/EnergyManagement.html (~235KB)

Comments

• I know I've mentioned this to you several times, but I REALLY like this game. The topic is so relate-able, so fundamentally human, that I'm actually surprised that I've never come across another game that deals with the subject of emotional energy like this game does.

Also, the way that the choices disappear is a wonderful way to immediately and clearly communicate the entire point of the game. Making the message a mechanic works really well. It reminds me a lot if the scratched out choices in Depression Quest, which had a similar impact.
    Thanked by 1Elyaradine
  • The thing I love most about this game is how you've manage to write it so that you never feel as though you're giving a wrong answer. Choices in games often feel very binary. Your choices are either clearly good or bad. Here you live just as comfortably with one decision as you do another.

The message this had for me was that life is not just those 1 or 2 big decisions, it's the countless small ones you make every day that add up over a lifetime. And in that sense either giving or not giving a fuck is not a choice, but who you are.

Anyway, I played it a bunch of times until I had the perfect day (according to me that is).