Halo 4 and banning sexism for life.

edited in General
http://www.dailydot.com/news/halo-4-sexism-lifetime-ban/

This seems like quite an awesome move to me. Of course, I don't play competitive FPS multiplayer games online (though when I can LAN with friends I love them), so I don't have first hand knowledge of what the situation really is and what kind of impact this might have.

Comments

• I feel this move is a bandage attempting to cover the problem without solving it, and is open to sbuse in itself. And we know people are going to find work arounds so the bandage is temporary at best; I don't think technology will solve this problem
  • edited
    I feel this move is a bandage attempting to cover the problem without solving it, and is open to sbuse in itself.
    What are you thinking needs doing? I mean an actual solution instead of a bandage.

I might be reading you wrong but it sounds like anything less than Halo 4 actually eradicating sexist impulses from the minds of its users wouldn't satisfy you?

I'm not sure I see the possibility for abuse. Though maybe I don't understand how Halo multiplayer works?? I can imagine there are was to make it difficult to be caught, but that's not abuse.
  • Are they gonna rely on people reporting the offenders... Or voice and text bots monitoring all communication... Or moderators sitting monitoring all channels... What're they expecting to implement to get people to not be sexist? Must we all stop saying "rape"? (I don't really but I don't really find it too sexist/offensive in gamer speak context)

I think it's a nice sentiment but implementation is always the point. So eduction would be nice, but it's not publishers job to educate against sexism, racism, fascism, or any other extremisms of the world.

Or is it? I'm not entirely convinced either way, I think people, including good/bad/rich/poor/companies/individuals should be free to choose as long as they don't directly screw other people. The offenders should shut up but the companies aren't obliged to make them...

Though it would be nice. Guess that's all that counts for some people, the should.
  • Tuism said:
    What're they expecting to implement to get people to not be sexist?
    I'd expect the threat of a lifetime ban from the game, and some extreme offenders (who actively try ruin the enjoyment for others through hurtful sexist insults) actually getting banned to prove that they're serious (and remove them from the community), is what they're trying to achieve.

I'm absolutely certain that you have nothing to worry about @Tuism (unless you have a secret dark side that only comes out during an energy sword charge).