[Event] Cape Town Community Night - 28 October

edited in Events
When: 18:30 until around 21:30, Wednesday 28 October

We're sticking to the Bandwidth Barn this month (gimme feedback on what you think of this venue!)

Where: Bandwidth Barn - 68 Albert Rd, Woodstock, Cape Town, 7925

If you have a demo you want played, bring a station on which people can play it, and set it up before the meetup begins!

Agenda:
- 6:30 - 7:00 - Meet and greet
- Rapid fire intros (10 min)
- Community News (5 min)

Talks:
- Sound Foundry Presentation
- What we (RetroEpic) learnt at rAge 2015
- Learning Innovation Design Lab
- Broforce Release Hypertalk

Focused Feedback
- Arcade Finger Twister

Open Demo Floor

This event happens monthly, is free to attend, and anyone may speak at the meetup - just comment beneath to let us know! This is for anyone and everyone interested in making games of any shape, size or type. Come join us!

Test games! Talk games! Make games!

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/905601626141564/
Thanked by 2francoisvn MCA

Comments

• I'm thinking of putting together some thoughts on rage 2015 (what we learnt from our trip to JHB etc) if anyone is interested?
  • edited
    Can I re-book a focused feedback slot for Arcade Finger Twister? For realsies this time.

Also, a talk on rage sounds awesome!
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • We'd like to book a slot to present some of the music we've composed and produced, for video games and beyond.

- Greg & Andrew
    Thanked by 2dammit NickCuthbert
  • edited
    Yay! Broforce will be *finally* out by then! Keen to attend again.
  • Yay! Broforce will be *finally* out by then! Keen to attend again.
    Do you want to say anything about the release?

• What happened to voting for the venue? 22seven (the theatre is available again) vs Bandwidth Barn?
  • dislekcia said:
    What happened to voting for the venue? 22seven (the theatre is available again) vs Bandwidth Barn?
    I may be wrong, but we never voted to go to 22seven in the first place but sure, we can run a vote on the forums about the venue if you like. I won't have time to manage a vote this month, but if you would like to do this, please do. The feedback I personally received was *only* people saying they wanted to return to Bandwidth Barn. (No one said specifically anything else in any other direction which leads me to assume indifference).
  • I have posted a poll in the FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/905601626141564

Just a note, parking at 22seven is now available across the road.
  • On the venue options: will we be able to make use of either/both venue(s) for the foreseeable future? I think minimizing changes should be a fairly high priority. Obviously exceptions can occur, but I think a default "home" would be good.
  • @LexAquillia Might be able to answer your questions @francoisvn as well as mention what the situation is with the parking at Bandwidth, possibility of food etc.
  • The Bandwidth Barn has offered us the use of their facilities for the forseeable future
    Thanked by 1peach_pony
  • If the meeting is at the BB we can use their basement parking, and possibly the parking yard next to the church as well
    Thanked by 2dammit creative630
  • Would anyone be able to bring a video camera to the meetup and film the talks? I really feel as though there is a lot of value in every talk given and it would be great if we could share this as a resource for other local devs.
    Thanked by 1Kobusvdwalt9
  • edited
    dammit said:
    Do you want to say anything about the release?
    I'd like to, but I don't think I'll have time to do any kind of thorough post-mortem. Though the dust should have settled enough by then to give a thoughts-on-releasing-this-game hyper talk.
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Hi MakeGamesSA

Is there space for a talk at the 28 October meetup? I'd love to present some the work the Learning Innovation Design Lab is doing in the gaming/educational realm. +/- 10 minutes.

Thanks.
    Thanked by 1NickCuthbert
  • Sure @peach_pony :) I'll add you to the list for wednesday and then this will be the last talk to be added. All other talks can be for Nov :)
  • Hi All, we got the HTC Vive in and have had a lot of Gamers asking us if we can demo it somewhere.

If you would like us to come demo it at the meetup on Wednesday please let us know.

• Hi All, we got the HTC Vive in and have had a lot of Gamers asking us if we can demo it somewhere.

If you would like us to come demo it at the meetup on Wednesday please let us know.

We have an open demo floor following the talks and you're more than welcome to come and show the HTC Vive there :)

• @tyronerubin: We got a Vive too, but I've struggled to set it up correctly. Admittedly, I haven't been doing a good job of reading documentation or anything (but it's partly because the docs are so wip). I'd like to chat with you about setting it up correctly; I've been especially annoyed with this Compositor window complaining about not being full screen whenever Unity/Unreal have focus, making it practically impossible to play anything.
  • @LexAquillia : Can we please have some clarity on exactly where the parking is that we can use? Which road do we access it from? And then, is there any word on food?

Otherwise, everyone keen to meet at Taproom?
  • @Dammit No food unfortunately, but parking in the basement will be available. Access to the basement parking is on William Street (the road "behind" the Barn).
  • Radness. Thanks @LexAquillia

Anyone who is keen to meet at the Taproom, Devil's Peak Brewery, we'll probably be there about 5pm. We haven't booked a table at this point in time.
  • @dammit thanks.

@Elyaradine please look out for Frank and Grant. They will be setting it up.
  • FOOD VENUE CHANGE: If you want to join us for food before the meetup we're heading to Jamacia Me Crazy - https://www.facebook.com/Jamaica-Me-Crazy-191276417582999/ at 5pm-ish
  • Thanks once again to everyone who came through, to everyone who put together a talk or a demo and, of course, to Bandwidth Barn for the venue and the coffee. You are all great!
    Thanked by 1creative630
  • This was rad. Awesome seeing you all!
    Thanked by 1creative630