Original Music for SODA

Hi all

We're in the process of scoring a pretty rad FPS game called Super Original Death Arena - the game will be released next year (likely on Steam), but for now, you can listen to some of the music we've composed and produced for it.

Check it out here:

https://soundcloud.com/soundfoundryza/sets/soda-super-original-death

For more of our commercial projects, visit www.soundfoundry.co.za, and if you need music, sound or voiceover recording and editing for your game, feel free to contact us at info@soundfoundry.co.za.

- Greg & Andrew
Thanked by 3NickCuthbert MCA dammit

Comments

• edited
    Sounds very atmospheric. Would be interested what you used for the pops and clicks in the track "earth layer 1" The other tracks are super ambient and also very dark. Does this reflect in the gameplay ie. is it going to be more of an exploration game or more fps action?
  • The little glitchy pops and clicks were a combination of a re-sampled Kalimba MIDI-controlled instrument we made, and re-pitching and heavily affecting drum sounds.

Each elemental themed arena in this FPS game will have three layers of music, each one representing the current state of tension, so the 'Layer 1' tracks are more ambient and relatively calm, as you explore the level. Layers 2 & 3 ramp up the feeling of action and tension as you encounter and engage in combat with enemies.

The dark and ambient drones are triggered when you approach elemental deity shrines, with whom you can align your character to fulfil 'worship' quests and gain deity-specific bonuses and special abilities (while also being 'punished' if you don't properly fulfil their orders).

We're going to be presenting at the next MakeGamesSA meet-up in Cape Town at the end of this month, and will delve more into the creative process use in making this music, as well as showing some of the other work we've made recently.

We'll be making full tracks out of all the other drones and elemental layers, which we'll release as a full album when the game itself is released :)

• Awesome stuff Gregg...really like the ambience. Would love to see the game in action with the soundtrack :D *hint hint* (or possibly play it?

Really lovely bass end sounds. I feel like I should give something more constructive but I can't :P it feels and sounds awesome. I particularly love ambient, atmospheric soundtracks in games cos it leave so much space for interactivity, I think. ..It's something I discuss a bit in my thesis on interactive music so I'm glad I see it happening, validates some of my ideas ;)

Anyway great work! Would love to see and hear more
  • Cool stuff man, would certainly be interesting to hear in conjunction with the gameplay - thanks for sharing!