Nag Jam: Terrortories

Meant to post this on Sunday but haven't gotten round to it until now. The Nag jam was really fun and it's been awesome to see so many entries! We restarted the jam twice (after deciding our ideas weren't going anywhere) but eventually ended up with this:

Terrortories: A two player turn-based strategy game by myself, @damousey and @Jelligeth.

It's not quite Civ, but there are some interesting decisions to be made and I think there's definitely some potential in the flood fill mechanic.

Download (Windows)

- Playable with gamepads or via mouse and hot-seat.
- Feedback or ideas welcome.

Enjoy! And a big thanks to everyone who made the weekend so rad (you know who you are).
terrortories.jpg
1131 x 681 - 108K
Thanked by 2NickCuthbert garethf

Comments

• Very Go-like. You're essentially trying to maximise territory that the other player can't get to, so "surrounds" and cutting the other player off is very important. It took me a while to realise that the powerups were only active for the remainder of that turn, but once I did I started doing things to maximise the amount of hexes I could take over, some clever management got it to be 19 a couple of times.

I initially felt like the map generation would be a huge factor in how well players did, but in the end it seemed that blue's first mover benefit kept being the deciding factor - blue won every game I played (admittedly against myself, optimally) by between 8 and 12 points. I'd recommend making blue's starting number of units 10 to try and counteract this. Go has a similar balancing mechanic: White always gets 0.5 extra score when they start because Black moves first, that's half the "value" of a starting move.