(Prototype) Orbs of Riven

edited in Projects
Hi all,

I put together a quick prototype for an idea I've had for the past few months.

The basic idea is a fantasy arena fighter (very much like WoW arena). Except, not only abilities have cooldowns, but so does movement. Abilities will be targeted to counteract latency issues.

Also, every time someone dies in the arena, a new player (one currently waiting to join a game) will enter the arena. If nobody is waiting to join, a bot will enter. This way, you can keep playing 'indefinitely' if you manage to survive. At the end of your run, you'll be given your rewards (gold / points / reputation / alignment / whatever I decide on).

Before I ask my questions, here are the links

Web Player (Doesn't work in Chrome)
Windows
Controls: wasd (move), tab (target), space (shoot)

The current prototype doesn't have everything I want in it yet but it's something for me to look at and run around in (for instance the movement cooldown isn't in yet).

But it still feels like I'm missing some key gameplay mechanic or nuance. Do any of you have any ideas? What are other games I should be looking at (top down arena fighters).

Thanks!

Comments

• Hey, I'm a sound guy so don't expect any technical insights...

I couldn't kill any of the other players and they weren't attacking me, and didn't know if I was doing any damage to them at all or if I was receiving damage, so a health indicator would be good; and being able to defend, whether the character has an agility bonus to dodge or a shield or force field they can conjure up to deflect attacks - the success of an attack/defence could be altered by power-ups and the like; also didn't like that the same square could be occupied by multiple players.

Having obstacles that can be used for cover would be nice, something destructible like a crate that materialises and can act as cover or be destroyed to yield health potions or weapons?

And some sound effects would be cool (hint, hint - I'd quite like to work on a prototype using Wwise if you're interested?)
  • Thanks for the feedback man. There really isn't any gameplay in the prototype, it's just there to provide me with some something to point at when telling people about the idea.

I'm starting to think more and more that the real strength lies in labeling it as a roguelike arena and making it pure turn based.

Wwise sounds really cool. Let's chat?
  • Hey, I tried it but like you said it has no gameplay yet. It's hard to give you any meaningful feedback on such a slim base.

I'd suggest getting it a bit further along where you think it should go, add in the combat, get a full game working from end to end (spawn, fight, die, respawn, kill, win etc.) and then we can help you get some direction with it.
  • Thanks for taking the time to comment.

This process has actually been really valuable to me. Writing out my idea has given me more to think about than simply taking about it and has allowed me to pick up on problem areas and sense strengths more easily.

Expect more soon(ish)!
    Thanked by 2MCA Nitrogen