[Prototype] Ike's Axe (Working Title)

Hi All, My name is Isaac, I've been learning how to program for about a year now and I'd like to show you a project I've been working on. It started out as a little game just to get myself going on a coding project and I've just kept building on it and building on it. I haven't shown many people the game yet as it is still very early and a whole lot still needs to be done. But, I think it's at the stage where if I want to keep going forward with the project I'm gonna need some help and feedback from people who've done it before or are into this kind of thing. I really want to improve the art/animations and the sound. You'll see in the demo that the SFX are few and the music is kinda cheesy and repetitive, but hopefully I can fix that soon.

Just a quick walkthrough for the game here since there is no tutorial yet.

It's a run, jump, and axe-throw-em 2D platformer. You have the "Million Axe" that can be thrown a million times only. You also have these mystical, magical boots that help the little guy jump higher and run faster.

"A "& "D" keys to move.
"S" hold to boost.
Left & Right arrow keys to shoot.
Spacebar to jump (lift-off in aircraft).

"F" to toggle fullscreen.
"B" to see your FPS and other fun debug stuff (if your into that).
"Esc" or "P" to pause and unpause.

Green Diamonds give a permanent health buff.
Red Diamonds strengthen your axe throw.
Yellow Diamonds buff your jump force.
Blue Diamonds boost your walk and boost speed.

The "Options" option in the menu does not work yet. If work continues on this then I'll put in key customization and probably gamepad support.

The game auto-saves at the beginning of each level.

Windows only for now, my apologies.

In this the first demo it's pretty much the whole first level plus the Bossfight, which ends abruptly and may be a bit too hard. But, it's also unlimited lives for now, so hopefully it's still fun. I will release a more condensed and polished demo version in a bit.

Here is the link to my dropbox. Please let me know if there are any problems downloading and playing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz78y3zh9fighlw/Ike's Axe (Working Title) EXE DEMO v1.0.exe?dl=0

Let me know what you think, any feedback would be great.

I have never posted here before so hopefully these screenshots show up below. If not I'll try again.

imageimageimageimageimage
City_01.png
960 x 420 - 211K
Tutorial_01.png
960 x 420 - 562K
Flight_01.png
960 x 420 - 523K
Space_01.png
960 x 420 - 448K
Cave_01.png
960 x 420 - 211K
Thanked by 2garethf konman

Comments

• Hi Isaac, welcome to the MGSA forum :D

I downloaded and played your game, and got as far as Stage 4. I have a few comments and suggestions, but it all boils down to "Go read this wonderful article." -> The Guide to Implementing 2D Platformers. It's a great read for anyone working on a 2D platforming game.

I can see that a lot of hard work has already been put into this game. There are subtle animations in the fore and background objects, that I like, and a lot of work has gone into stage design as well. I believe implementing the tips in the above article will only help improve Ike's Axe ;)