[Recruiting] Junior & Senior Unity Developer [Closed]

edited in Jobs
Hi Everyone

RetroEpic is looking for two new developers to join our team with Unity and C# sharp experience. This is a position we're hoping to fill quite quickly and we're hoping to find someone who is passionate about making games. We're open to various degrees of experience, but ideally we'd like someone who can jump right in on a number of projects in Unity.

I'll probably post more info on Monday but I thought I'd get this out today in case it sparks interest over the weekend.

If this does sound like you or you'd like more information, please get in touch at info [at] retroepic.com

Comments

• if ((dev.location == SouthAfrica.CapeTown) && (dev.skills.Intersect ("C++", "C#", "Unity3D").Count >= 2)) email.send ("info[at]retroepic.com");

For those interested in the position, it would be ideal if you could send a portfolio of games/prototypes through (along with your standard CV) :)
  • We've decided to expand our search and actually will have two positions available, one for a junior developer and one for a senior developer. More here: http://www.retroepic.com/were-hiring-again/
  • We have now filled our senior position - but we're still looking for a possible junior to join our team.
  • Hi RetroEpic, I am currently a 1st Year BSc Computer science student with aspirations of becoming a Game Developer. Although I cannot apply for the job at this stage, can you give me some tips or guidelines that I can follow or things I can do to make myself more marketable for the South African Gaming Industry? (my main focus is scripting in C# using Unity)
  • @mkshogun96 It's great that you're thinking about approaching the studios and asking this - incredibly important - question. We're actually going to be doing a blog post on this soon so you can keep an eye on our social media for when we share that.

Essentially, it boils down to portfolio. We don't really care about your degree (great if you have one!) but we do care about what you can do. If you don't have any prototypes under your belt, then we can't assume that you're even really interested in making games (because people who want to make games, make games).

It's also a good idea to research studios. Every studio in South Africa is completely different and not everyone is going to fit in everywhere. Figure out what you want to be doing, where you feel like you'd fix/shine etc, and approach that studio with enthusiasm.

It shouldn't even be worth mentioning, but know the studio you apply to. Do *not* ask in the interview what games that studio has made (happened to us - dude did not get much more of an interview). Read up on all you can find about the studio, how they work, the people that work there and the games they produced/are producing.

Hope that helps :)
    Thanked by 1Sash
  • Thank you @dammit, I will definitely take these pointers and make them into a guide of sorts throughout my Student Career. I haver about 3 years left (since I am planning on doing honours) and if I use my time proactively I could make a bunch of prototypes and start building up my portfolio. At this stage I am really an entry level Game Developer. I have done a couple of tutorials this year and participated in my First Game Jam with Derivco. I still have a lot to learn but I plan on learning a lot during December-January when I am home and have so free time. I was looking for a part time job at a Software Development Company or even Game Company but that would be a bit difficult for a 1st year like me, so maybe I should focus on getting some projects into my portfolio. Thank you for the feedback it is much appreciated and I would be interested in following that blog you mentioned. I started my own blog to serve as a portfolio of sorts. There isn't much on there at the moment since I made it this month and haven't made a lot of prototypes yet. (Feel free to check is out at https://mkshogunblog.wordpress.com/)

I really appreciate the reply thank you! I always get a little excited as I think about the plan I have to make and new skills I have to learn. Although it may become tiring at some stage my passion for games and Game Development will help me continue improving myself. Good luck with any projects or development you are busy with. May the fps run high and the errors stay low. ;)
    Thanked by 2NickCuthbert dammit
  • We are no longer taking CVs or interviewing for these positions. We will be in touch with all candidates in due time. Thanks very much to everyone who mailed us, chatted to us or interviewed at our offices. We appreciate your time :)