I am looking for a Board Game Printers in South Africa

edited in Questions and Answers
Hello I am looking to print about 100 copies of a board game i'm working on do you know where I can print this game and get some professional game bits in South Africa? The game is (Monopoly like in terms of resources). If anyone knows anything please let me know :) SHAPA
Thanked by 2dammit Tuism

Comments

• These guys (http://www.c2digital.co.za/) have been more than helpful with my stuff and they won't be surprised to get a boardgame printing request. They are in Cape Town, though, so I'm not sure if that is problematic for you? Btw, are you interested in getting a box printed as well?
  • If your box is A4 size, then perhaps you might want to split the cost of buying the die (cutting tool) from C2 (with me) which would then mean you own (half) an A4 box die and can get the box printed. Alternatively, you'll need to find a printer that already has that. Let me know if you do.
    Thanked by 1quintond
  • Would be very interesting to see how you guys get your stuff made locally, all my information and stuff I've heard about are not local :)
  • @Tuism Yeah the AfterRobot stuff is not local and its the best to do it overseas however I might be working on a smaller project with just a 100 copies and the overseas is produced in bulks of 500 and more.
  • @Dammit that sounds great I will let you know for sure whats going on tomorrow #shapa :)
  • @dammit: What is the cost of the die? I don't have a product yet but I am working on something and my goal is to get in a A4 box, so I might be interested in this as well.
  • @Tuism - Yeah, for a small amount local makes sense. I want to produce a good looking copy of WW to leave at the boardgame cafe here and to perhaps send to publishers to take a gander at

@quintond - I'm not sure exactly. A die for a hexagon shape was R1000 so I'm guessing it will be more than R2k which is why I would prefer to split the costs.
  • So there aren't printers here with standard top-closing box dies? What you might want to consider is make a box that's one of the common standards among international boardgames on the shelf, it might eventually be easier to contend with. So take a look at the common boardgame box sizes?

(what about standard playing card (magic card OR bridge card) dies, do they have those, do you guys know?)

A good die everyone can make use of can make a good first step for us producing locally :)
  • I agree about the box sizes ... my ideal size is a square box similar to the dimensions of the Zombicide boxes. I was initially looking overseas but the costs were a killer ... but if we can maybe standardise here and all chip in the costs will be well worth it.

*shrug* Dunno how many people are keen though. 8-{
  • If anyone can find a printer that does have box dies, I would be very happy. I was looking at A4 size for my needs.
  • edited
    If you're looking for quotes on printing board games, game cards, card sleeves, boxes etc. feel free to contact me:

ironking blankds com (you know what to add in the gaps :D)

Die making isn't an issue either as I work with some of the best - if there are a number of folks looking for similar items we could look at making up shared die's.

However you should be aware that die's don't last forever. The cutting edges / blades get blunt over time and depending on the number of impressions, density of material etc they will have to be remade.

Cheers
    Thanked by 2dislekcia Tuism
  • One thing I've learned from my recent kickstarter experience - how you box/present your game affects perceptions. Portrait orientation automatically gives the impression of a "small game", while landscape gives the impression of a big box game. Which affects price point perception. If you're trying to market on price, make it feel like a small game. If you're trying to market on "IT'S AN AWESOME GAME YOU MUST HAVE IT NO MATTER WHAT" then make it feel like a big game :)

Boardgames are also non-standard aspect ratio boxes - so A4 is actually a "weird" ratio for a boardgame, and impressions may come across as such.
    Thanked by 1dammit
  • Thanks for that @Tuism. Hadn't considered any of those points. I must admit I was asking for A4 just because I thought it might be more universal. I have to actually see how all the pieces I have for WW would actually fit together once I have my new pvc mats.
  • Can you please assist with contacts of companies that print board games similar to monopoly game in South Africa. I am Calistus Bosaletswe from Botswana who is interested to print a board game similar to a monopoly. If you happen to have any contacts please help .
  • barmcalo said:
    Can you please assist with contacts of companies that print board games similar to monopoly game in South Africa. I am Calistus Bosaletswe from Botswana who is interested to print a board game similar to a monopoly. If you happen to have any contacts please help .
    Please look through the thread, there are several mentioned in it already.