rAge Cape Town, March 2016

I came across this article:
http://www.techsmart.co.za/news/rAge-coming-to-Cape-Town-in-2016.html

Looks like rAge expo is happening in Cape Town next year. Is Makegames involved? Does anyone have any more info, about the possibilities of booking a stand for one's business etc?

Comments

• edited
    I can't help but feel that this is primarily a response to the success of EGE. And RAGE trying to spin this as a result of popular demand is disingenuous.

I guess more gaming expos is better, and competition is good and all that. But I'd rather spend my energy improving EGE than welcoming in RAGE and all the shitty baggage that comes with it.

Obviously I feel like that because RAGE have been shitty towards us in the past. I can't expect Sony and Microsoft (who are the partners that really make a difference at these expos) to feel the same.

In my mind if RAGE are aggressive enough (and they're showing that they are aggressive with this choice of date), there's a chance EGE's big publisher support will wane. Having RAGE supplant EGE as Cape Town's only gamer convention would suck. EGE have proven to be good partner's, and they don't have regressive attitudes towards gender representation (like RAGE).
    Thanked by 1francoisvn
  • Maybe I'm out of the loop (or blindly oblivious), but would you mind detailing how rAge has been shitty to you in the past? I understand the Roxy issue is still unresolved, but I assume there's something more?
  • @BlackShipsFilltheSky I was unaware of the politics around this. It is very unfortunate that in a growing industry there is animosity between groups that in effect are working toward the same goal. Even the comments on the official NAG post seem to echo your sentiments though

I am very interested to hear more about how this all came about.

From my point of view I would like to see EGE grow and succeed (and as a business, be involved next time around) but I also want to benefit from possible exposure via rAge. I remain hopeful that a successful rAge expo would actually be beneficial for EGE (i.e helping to establish a business case in Cape Town for potential advertisers at these sort of expos)
  • edited
    Sony and Microsoft (and Ster Kinekor etc) probably have limited marketing budgets. I can't speak for them, but I don't think it's necessarily a case of Cape Town getting two expos instead of one. Big sponsors are either going to be stretching their money between two expos, or ignoring one or the other. Remember, it took 3 years of trying for EGE to secure sponsorship from Sony the first time around.
  • Yeah, I must admit to being curious about the shittiness you say has been experienced by the rAge team towards our society? I might be equally out of the loop here.
  • Showed our game at the last Rage and I found the NAG team and Geoff to be awesome peeps.
    Thanked by 1dammit