Need help to create sport-themed game.

edited in Jobs
I know, I know.. 17 years old, "what the hell are you doing even trying to make a game?" Well, you see, I've only jumped in this boat a few months ago, did a little research and BOOM! An idea crashed into my head.

I've been trying to shake it, but look like the bug bit me, and bit me hard.. The reason I can't shake this is because (yeah, like all game desighners) I think this will be something extrodinary and succesful. I've been looking for a team to help me in this designing and creating journey as I have only a limited amount of skill.

So yeah, If anyone is interested, you know what to do... (that "what" is comment)

Comments

• Hey there, welcome to MGSA!

17 is definitely not too young to start making a game, so you don't need to worry about that. In fact, assuming you're still in school, you probably have more time to make games than a lot of people here, so now is the perfect time to get stuck in!

Can you tell us a bit more about your idea? Perhaps some more detail will get others interested in your project?

Have you considered working on it by yourself for now? There are numerous easy-to-use tools that can get you started, and if you have a basic prototype that's fun, that'll be 1000x more likely to get people interested. Plus, once you start making prototypes, it's totally valid to start calling yourself a game developer ;)
  • edited
    tank16 said:
    The reason I can't shake this is because (yeah, like all game desighners) I think this will be something extrodinary and succesful.
    Hmm. I dunno about that, I'm a game designer and I tend to think every idea I have is crap and nobody will like it... I only make things when I can't figure out what's obviously wrong with an idea and need someone else to help me pinpoint what I've missed in terms of suckage.

I'm getting pretty good at disliking my own ideas, these days I'll hate something about 3 hours after I come up with it. Saves so much time!

You could totally be right though! I reckon you should try making it to see if there's anything you might have missed. Try a card game version maybe?
    Thanked by 3Tuism tank16 Riocide
  • @feancoisvn

Thanx for the comment!

Yeah, I would like yo tell you what the game is about, but unfortunately, like I said, I think this is a "revolutionary" game in the sence of it being something else that no one would expect, but still enjoy.

What I can tell you about this project is that it is sport related and about 3.3 billion people watch this sport, making the audience so big and the possiblities endless.

At the moment I'm primarely looking for some who can Code, as I am creating the game in Unity 5.1 (because it's just a start and I'm on my own)

• @Dislekcia

Yeah, I know that feeling!

I'm going to study graphic design after matric and I aslo give myself an extremely hard time.

I'm definately my worst critic, but it helps me push myself.
  • Cool, glad to hear you're starting! If you don't have any experience coding, you might find Unity a bit difficult. If that's the case, I suggest you check out Game Maker for a much simpler tool. Alternatively, If it's possible as a card game that's even better cause it's super easy to test :)

You might want to share more detail of the game if you want others to get involved. There was a recent thread on almost exactly this with some good opinions: http://makegamessa.com/discussion/3294/ip-sharing-game-ideas
  • edited
    Like others have said, the best thing you can do is prototype the idea yourself. There's lots of tools available that don't take coding experience to get something working, like Game Maker, or Play Maker in Unity, and I've heard good things about Unreal's blueprints systems.

Once you have something working, if the game does have the potential to be revolutionary, then it'll be easy to attract collaborators.

That's essentially how I've found collaborators. I work with a team of 9, but no-one signed on based on my ideas. I had games that to show them which they wanted to work on. The more exciting the game the team was working on, the easier it was to find collaborators.

The other thing is, once you've built something, you've automatically copyrighted it. Not that you should be afraid of people stealing your ideas (games only get clone AFTER they've proven massively successful somewhere, untested game ideas literally never get stolen).

Basically, your problem with finding collaborators right now is that it's much more fun working on your own idea than someone else's. EVERYONE has their own idea of what they want to make, you've got to convince people that your idea is better than their own ideas before you can expect interest in it.

If I wanted to collaborate with you for instance, I'd have to convince you that what you'd be working on when working with me is a better opportunity than your current dream game. Think about how hard that is? Think about what I'd have to show you to prove that.

Then produce those things to show potential collaborators and convince them!
  • @BlackShipsfilltheSky

Thank you for the comment.

I appreciate what you said and I am going to begin my prototype and see if all goes well.

And also I think I am going to share a little insight in what I have thought of of the game.

Wish me luck!
  • I would be interested in helping you prototype the idea, I have an intermediate programming background specifically with unity. Also I'm a qualified sound designer for game and as I also agree with the above that making a good prototype by yourself is key to getting interested collaborators I also think a bit of help when you starting out is great. I do have the time so I don't see why not. Let me know. Here's my email - info@sashenreddy.com
    Thanked by 1EvanGreenwood